Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pardon my ignorance.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:16 pm 

Baseball isn't really my game and am making a picture choice in absence of chief photographer. All other things being equal, it seems to me it seems that the pitcher should be the picture. I owe the sports reporter a beer if I am wrong on this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:27 pm 

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly.

There are games that are dominated by good pitching and games that were dominated by good hitting. If the winning pitcher had a sterling performance (say, he pitched at least six innings and the other team scored no more than two or three runs), I'd use a shot of him as the lead art. If it was a high-scoring affair on both sides, I'd use a shot of one of the hitters on the winning side connecting with the ball, or a particularly nice shot of a play on the basepaths.

The thing with baseball is that it has less consistent scoring patterns than other sports. Two teams can play a three-game series against each other in as many days and have a 1-0 game, a 15-10 game, and a 12-0 game, for example. And depending on the score, the art you want can be very different.

If you know the final score of the game in question, I could help more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:32 pm 

Story hasn't been filed yet but it's generally the case in our district comp that there are far too many runs scored and no stand-out batters.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:36 pm 

Well, if you've got a slugfest in which both teams scored in excess of 10 runs, I wouldn't use a shot of a pitcher as dominant unless the blowout came after he left the game, or he came in late in the game after most of the runs were scored and preserved a lead.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of well-played baseball. I imagine at lower levels of the game a pitcher need not be as impressive to warrant being the lead art.

If it's a true mess of a game, I'd just advise you to use whatever photo you find most visually appealing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:57 pm 

Never come to the elves for advice for they shall say both yes and no. [LOTR] I'll run the pitcher and reporter and myself will buy each other a beer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:04 pm 

paulwiggins wrote:
Story hasn't been filed yet but it's generally the case in our district comp that there are far too many runs scored and no stand-out batters.

In that case, you should probably run a picture of some kid in the stands.

But seriously: Just use the best picture available.

Last edited by Phillip Blanchard on Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:05 pm 

paulwiggins wrote:
I'll run the pitcher and reporter and myself will buy each other a beer.

The sacrifices you make for your work humble us all.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]