Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: It's worse than I thought
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:54 pm 

MIAMI (AP) -- The Florida Marlins will not be allowed to play in their stadium after the 2010 season, the latest factor in the team's prolonged struggle to get a new ballpark.<p>Pro Player Stadium president Bruce Schulze said 2010 is the last of a series of one-year lease options for the Marlins, who share the complex with the Miami Dolphins. He said dropping the Marlins would let the stadium pursue such events as cricket and soccer.

Post subject: Re: It's worse than I thought
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:13 pm 

Please state the nature of the difficulty. More seriously, it does sound fairly desperate. Can you give me a link to a backgrounder on this?<p>[ December 12, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:20 pm 

A world championship baseball team has less draw than a cricket match?<p>Hard to believe.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:37 pm 

The failure of the Marlins to draw fans has always baffled me. Considering how many Miami residents come from countries where baseball is the dominant sport, it simply makes no sense.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:34 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
The failure of the Marlins to draw fans has always baffled me. Considering how many Miami residents come from countries where baseball is the dominant sport, it simply makes no sense.<hr></blockquote><p>The team moves players in and out before fans develop loyalty to them.
The team is an afterthought to the Dolphins and the owners' other corporate interests.
The stadium is designed for football or soccer or, for all I know, cricket, but not baseball.
The location (nearly midway between Miami and Fort Lauderdale) sucks.
I took a minor part in an archaeological dig near the stadium; it could be cursed by the earliest Floridians.
Lots of heat, humidity and rain.
But, yes, a team, if run properly, SHOULD work there.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]