Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: What we've learned so far
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:59 am 

** The Yankees woke up at a convenient time.<p>** Maybe Tony La Russa could venture near Joe Torre's realm, but these other clowns aren't close. (And I've always seen La Russa's name as two words; but on the back of his uniform, it's solid.)<p>** I was as impressed by Albert Pujols' three ropes to centerfield in Game 2 as I was by his game-winning homer.<p>** The Red Sox should fire their manager after every season until they find one that won't bring in Tim Wakefield in relief.<p>** The loss of Curt Schilling turned this into a match between a major-league team and a triple-A team.<p>** Roger Clemens has still got it, and someone hand me the ball for Game 4.<p>** Fox should stop reporting every playoff statistic it can get its hands on. The stats are beginning to sound meaningless in this era of three-tiered playoffs. <p>** Did anyone else know that Robin Ventura, who retired last week, is third all-time on the career grand slam list?<p>** Some of the games have been interesting, but if I don't get a pitching duel soon, I'm out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What we've learned so far
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:07 pm 

***The Yankees ALWAYS wake up when they play the BoSox in the playoffs, no matter who's on the team. It just happens.<p>***Players in the MLB with multiple-word last names always have them appear as one word on the uniform because it's easier for the stitcher (who might have to create unis on the fly).<p>***From a bar in Columbia, Mo., I called the back-to-back slams in Game 2; Clemens is the man, but no one will see him again unless there's a Game 7.<p>***The Red Sox might get into the World Series if they have a manager who knows about pitching; problem is, Epstein always hires the next guy thinking he'll be the answer to the previous guy's problem, and without ever evaluating his pitching knowledge. Like I've said before, Curt Schilling could do a better job of managing this team (and now, that might be his only opportunity to be involved).<p>[ October 17, 2004: Message edited by: Niko Dugan ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:52 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Niko Dugan:
Clemens is the man, but no one will see him again unless there's a Game 7.<hr></blockquote><p>Somehow, I forgot that typing that sentence might jinx my Cardinals. Now they'll probably see Clemens in Game 6. Crap.<p>[ October 18, 2004: Message edited by: Niko Dugan ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:13 am 

** Still waiting for the pitchers to show up. Even the machine malfunctioned last night.<p>** When I went to bed last night expecting Rivera to wrap up the last three outs after surviving the heart of the Sox lineup in the 8th, I was planning to observe how few have changed the game like he has. He makes almost every game a 7-inning affair for the other team, which at times is a bizarre phenomenon to witness. You can see the opponent tighten up in the middle innings and the opposing manager start to fumble for his closer. I guess he didn't nail it down last night.<p>** When you're up 2 games to 1 and you score 3 runs in the first inning, you should be going into Game 5 looking to close it out. Still waiting for the pitching to show up.<p>** One of the impressive things about Torre and the Yankees is their middle-relief corps and his handling of it. Anybody can win with Rivera. Getting to him is an art.<p>[ October 18, 2004: Message edited by: jjmoney62 ]<p>[ October 18, 2004: Message edited by: jjmoney62 ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:29 am 

"Sure, I'm worried. The whole team is worried."
-- George Steinbrenner
<p>''I'm not sure I can think of any scenario more enjoyable than making 55,000 people from New York shut up.''
-- Curt Schilling
<p>In the old days, when a fly ball hit a fan in the bleachers, the umps would mess up the call in New York's favor and the Yankees would win and the kid would wind up on Regis the next day.
-- Jim Caple, ESPN.com
<p>"We've been playing Game 7 since Game 4."
-- Doug Mientkiewicz
<p>Mariano Rivera:
Career: 336 saves, 48 blown saves
2004 regular season: 53 saves, 4 blown saves
2004 postseason: 2 saves, 3 blown saves<p>"Who's yaw DEAL-uh? Who's yaw DEAL-uh? Who's yaw DEAL-uh? "
-- Fenway Park chant
during Gary Sheffield's at-bat
in the 13th inning of Game 4
<p>"I don't know what I was trying to do."
-- Alex Rodriguez

While contact may occur between a fielder and runner during a tag attempt, a runner is not allowed to use his hands or arms to commit an obviously malicious or unsportsmanlike act.
-- Section 6.1, MLB Umpire Manual
<p>... But did Mientkiewicz commit obstruction on that play? What's he doing in the baseline without the ball? Did his presence slow A-Rod enough to allow Arroyo to make the tag?<p>[ October 20, 2004: Message edited by: SeaRaven ]</p>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:54 am 

Does anyone have a reliable Canadian-to-English dictionary?<p>Even though I saw the game, I still can't follow [url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/Playoffs/2004/10/20/677822.html]this story.
[/url]<p>---------<p>By BOB ELLIOTT -- Toronto Sun<p>NEW YORK -- One slap was all it took. <p>Whack! <p>New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez gave Boston Red Sox pitcher Bronson Arroyo's extended glove a "girly man" slap with his left hand running to first base. <p>In a matter of moments, the shrine known at Yankee Stadium was suddenly the Bronx Zoo. Again. <p>What ensued will not be shown on Major League Baseball's official 2004 wrap video, unless it is sublet it to Don Cherry's Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em videos. <p>After umpires overturned the play, which saw the ball roll into foul ground down the right-field line, allowing Derek Jeter to score and Rodriguez to go to second, the field was showered with debris. <p>In the top of the ninth, plate ump Joe West demanded protection for his crew, so 20 riot police officers lined foul ground against the stands down both left- and right-field lines. <p>Jeter was on first, after his RBI single made it 4-2 in the eighth, when Rodriguez hit a dribbler into no man's land -- up the first base line. <p>That led indecision on the part of reliever Arroyo and first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, who both went for the ball, leaving no one at first. <p>Finally, Arroyo attempted to tag Rodriguez, who slapped the ball loose. <p>Out of the third base dugout Sox manager Terry Francona popped, headed for first base umpire Randy Marsh. <p>"You could see Alex take a swipe but I couldn't get on to the field because people were circling the bases," Francona said. <p>After a brief discussion between Francona and Marsh which was the second huddle by the the six umps, Marsh signalled Rodriguez out for interference and pointed into the Yanks dugout signalling Jeter back to first. <p>The Yanks dugout yelled "tilt" and some other words. Rodriguez stood on second raising his arms into the air, asking why and inciting the crowd? <p>Bottles, baseballs, programs came tumbling down from above -- everything but a Sox fan -- and there was a four-minute delay. <p>ANOTHER HUDDLE <p>In the fourth, the umps had huddled again as Jim Joyce ruled Mark Bellhorn's two-run, double stayed in the park. <p>"We have a horrible view from our dugout, but (third base coach) Dale Sveum signalling a home run and he explained it to me." <p>After that discussion it was correctly adjudged a three-run homer. <p>"It's tough to get the best angle down the line, Jim thought the ball was still in play," Marsh said. "What would have happened if we hadn't got together? <p>"Every other umpire on the crew thought it was a home run." <p>Replays showed that the umps got that one right and the Yanks were real upset about the first huddle. <p>"The play at first wasn't like whether the ball went over the fence," Yanks manager Joe Torre said. <p>"I had a little problem with the one at first. <p>"No one was closer to the play than Randy Marsh. I was upset for a couple of reasons: Arroyo was in motion too, there was also another Boston player in the way who didn't have the ball, so it could have been an obstruction call." <p>Marsh said Mientkiewicz blocked his view on the play, as the over turned call changed it from a 4-3 Sox lead, with the tying run at second with one out, to a 4-2 score with a man on first and two out. <p>"When Francona came out, I thought was there something I didn't see?" Marsh said. "Joe West came down the line and did some outstanding umpiring. <p>"It's unusual when you have us overturning two calls in the same game. Years ago that process wasn't used." <p>They got both calls right. <p>The right way to settle a Game 7? <p>Do we hear 16 innings?<p>-----------------<p>[ October 20, 2004: Message edited by: SeaRaven ]</p>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:21 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>... But did Mientkiewicz commit obstruction on that play? What's he doing in the baseline without the ball? Did his presence slow A-Rod enough to allow Arroyo to make the tag?<hr></blockquote><p>I think what happened here was a classic case of the Red Sox goofing up a play. When A-Rod's hit went dribbling up the first-base line, both Arroyo and Mientkiewicz charged the ball. Arroyo got to the ball first, and assumed without looking up that Mientkiewicz was covering first base for the flip throw (like any Gold Glove first baseman such as Mientkiewicz should have been doing). When he finally looked up and saw no one was on the bag, he had to scramble to tag out A-Rod. Mientkiewicz, realizing his blunder, was also trying to scramble back to the bag so that, if A-rod outran Arroyo, a flip to the bag would still be possible. <p>I'm surprised Arroyo didn't come up from the ground and flip the ball automatically -- had that been the case, it would have bounced off the bag since no one was covering, and everyone would have been safe.<p>These are the kinds of plays that elicit that trademark Red Sox fan groan.<p>[ October 20, 2004: Message edited by: Niko Dugan ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:05 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SeaRaven:
[b]Mariano Rivera:
Career: 336 saves, 48 blown saves
2004 regular season: 53 saves, 4 blown saves
2004 postseason: 2 saves, 3 blown saves<p>[/b]<hr></blockquote><p>Rivera can't be faulted for the "blown save" a few nights ago. He came in with men on first and third and no outs. The batter hit a fly ball that scored the lead runner. No other runs scored.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:48 pm 

But that's the whole point of a save. You inherit runners and don't let them score.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:45 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
But that's the whole point of a save. You inherit runners and don't let them score.<hr></blockquote><p>I understand that the rules count it as a blown save, but that doesn't mean Rivera pitched poorly. He's just not Superman.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:48 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Niko Dugan:<p>***Players in the MLB with multiple-word last names always have them appear as one word on the uniform because it's easier for the stitcher (who might have to create unis on the fly).<p>[ October 17, 2004: Message edited by: Niko Dugan ][/QB]<hr></blockquote><p>C'mon, how do you know this, Niko?<p>If my last name is in two parts, it's going to appear that way on my uni. The stitcher can thread another damn needle. How hard can it be?<p>(Go, Cards!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:30 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Bond:
C'mon, how do you know this, Niko?
If my last name is in two parts, it's going to appear that way on my uni. The stitcher can thread another damn needle. How hard can it be?
(Go, Cards!)
<hr></blockquote><p>On most uniforms (at least those on which last names appear), the player's last name is assembled on a separate piece of cloth matching the uniform, then that cloth is sewn onto the back of the jersey. That's how equipment managers can have a Red Sox uni with "Mientkiewicz" and a Cubs uni with "Garciaparra" ready on three hours' notice, at an away game. If you get an authentic replica jersey and shell out the $150 plus, they make it the same way. You also won't see many small caps "A"s or "C"s -- something a name like "McGwire" or "McGee" might merit.<p>Go, Cardinals!<p>[ October 21, 2004: Message edited by: Niko Dugan ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:04 pm 

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the dish.<p>Getting into some skullduggery, what's the conventional wisdom involving the Bosox' frame of mind in the big Series? I'm sure there is at least a sizable camp saying they'll be flat coming off the big-emo series with the Yanks. Or will they be riding sky-high mo?<p>One thing's for certain -- Johnny Damon will not be visiting the barber!<p>Predictions? (Go, Cards!)<p>[ October 21, 2004: Message edited by: Jim Bond ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:50 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Bond:
Getting into some skullduggery, what's the conventional wisdom involving the Bosox' frame of mind in the big Series?
Predictions? (Go, Cards!)
<hr></blockquote><p>For many BoSox fans, the Miracle Comeback against the Yanks was better than the Series. There are some who have said the curse is broken (although you won't hear anyone from Boston say that).<p>I think Boston might underestimate the team they face Saturday at Fenway. Jayson Stark of ESPN.com does a great job pointing out that, hey, there's still an epic championship series going on, despite what everyone not in the Midwest thinks. Four walk-off homeruns. Roger Clemens against Jeff Suppan in Game 7. That's exciting stuff. I think the Red Sox will not have an easy time in the Series, mostly because they think they've already beaten the best team in baseball. The Yanks are good, and if the Sox win, it will be a true victory now that they've gone through the Yanks, but they've still got a lot of baseball to play.<p>Go, Cardinals!<p>[ October 21, 2004: Message edited by: Niko Dugan ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:55 pm 

The Fenway fans will not allow the Sox to enter Games 1 and 2 flat. Games 3, 4 and 5 are another matter.<p>... Sox in six.<p>[ October 21, 2004: Message edited by: SeaRaven ]</p>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:49 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SeaRaven:
... Sox in six.<hr></blockquote><p>C'mon, Sea, give the Cardinals a little more credit.<p>Cards in seven (with multiple extra-inning games).<p>[ October 22, 2004: Message edited by: Niko Dugan ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:04 pm 

* The Red Sox should fire their manager at the end of each season until they find one who won't start Tim Wakefield in Game 1 of a World Series.<p>* Albert Pujols gon' luuuv the Green Monster.<p>* I should stick with my initial instinct: There's Something About Manny. It just might be Boston's year. Stella!<p>* I like the Cardinals' lineup in this series. But good pitching should beat good hitting. <p>* The question is, can Schilling give Boston two good starts? I admired his effort against the Yankees, but he didn't look unbeatable to me. Let's face it, the Yankees didn't show up in Games 6 and 7. Schilling was hittable. Lofton should have started over Sierra. If Wakefield gets shelled in Game 1 and Schilling isn't what they think he is, Boston could be down 0-2 and headed to St. Louis.<p>* If Francona uses Schilling and Martinez in Games 2-3 and 6-7, my money's on the Red Sox in 7.<p>[ October 23, 2004: Message edited by: jjmoney62 ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:23 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
If Wakefield gets shelled in Game 1 and Schilling isn't what they think he is, Boston could be down 0-2 and headed to St. Louis.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Then the Red Sox would have the Cardinals just where they want them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:28 pm 

The key to this Series is Schilling's ankle. Simple as that. If it explodes, the Cardinals win in 5. If it holds, the Red Sox win in 7.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]