Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: MVP computer game
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:46 pm 

I've been playing the MVP computer baseball simulation game and love it. Since I don't follow real baseball at all, I'd like a little advice from those who do.<p>I recently traded Kevin Brown (I'd signed him as a free agent in the off-season) to the Yankees (I'm the Phillies) for Andy Pettitte. <p>Seems to be working out as the simulated season is progressing, but I wonder what "real" fans think of this trade.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: MVP computer game
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:49 pm 

I've never played this game, or any other simulation game since childhood. Strategy in simulation games or fantasy leagues depends largely on the rules, so my opinion without knowing your rules means even less than if I did know them. I have followed "real baseball" a bit this season, though, so I'll offer an opinion. <p>Kevin Brown probably is older than most people reading this. He's an excellent pitcher but prone to injury. This season he punched a wall and broke his hand, for example. Usually he gets hurt while pitching, not in the dugout.
So, trading him could be wise.<p>Andy Pettite is younger. Whether he's past his prime is hard to say. He's been consistent and durable for many seasons. He won many games for the Yankees before jumping to the Astros for this season. He did, however, get injured this year. <p>Do the rules of your game reflect what happens to players during the season? Do you keep players for future seasons? <p>I'd expect Pettite to have more good seasons than Brown ahead of him, but that's a guess. I'm not nearly wise enough to know whether either will be great or injured next season.<p>Good luck.<p>[ October 10, 2004: Message edited by: Wayne Countryman ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:01 pm 

Yes...players decline and suffer more injuries as they age.<p>And I am considerably older than Kevin Brown, unfortunately....<p>The game is set up for long-term play over many seasons. There are full AA and AAA leagues to develop and draw from for the future. You can send down petulant assholes to improve their attitudes, which i do all the time.<p>You "real" fans should get this game. You'll never get another thing done.<p>[ October 10, 2004: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:25 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
The game is set up for long-term play over many seasons. There are full AA and AAA leagues to develop and draw from for the future. You can send down petulant assholes to improve their attitudes, which i do all the time.<p>[ October 10, 2004: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]<hr></blockquote><p>Do you play against the computer or is it a rotisserie league or what? What is the full title?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:48 pm 

MVP Baseball 2004...by EA Sports. You can play against the computer, or you can just manage and simulate the entire game (takes a minute or two), or you can just do a quick sim of each game. <p>It's really great, Phil. If you get really good, which I am not, you can play against other people in online leagues.<p>[ October 11, 2004: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:28 pm 

It's not just baseball, either. EA Sports has Madden 2004, NHL 2004, NBA Live 2004, Nascar Thunder 2004, and NCAA Football 2004, amongst others.<p>For those of you not ashamed to admit you own an XBox, PlayStation 2 or Gamecube, they are available on those systems, as well.<p>As for your trade, I would definitely agree with it. In fact, so did the Yankees -- Kevin Brown just pitched Game 3 of the NLDS against the Twins.<p>Though the Yankees didn't trade Brown for Pettitte in real life, I think you made off with a steal, as long as Pettitte stays healthy.<p>[ October 11, 2004: Message edited by: Niko Dugan ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:19 am 

We now return you to your real lives, like it or not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:21 am 

I'm going on vacation next week, jj. Without MVP Baseball.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]