Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Barry for MVP?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:17 pm 

Bonds is leading the league in hitting, slugging and on-base percentage (the last two categories by a mile). He is having another super season, presumably without steroids. Is he the MVP? If not, who is? <p>By the way, my own interpretation of MVP is best player, not the "most valuable" to his team, which I think is a bullshit category.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Barry for MVP?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:46 pm 

I'd lead the league in those categories, too, if 213 of my at-bats didn't count.<p>For the record:
Bond's numbers as of 3:30p.m. Sept. 23 (according to ESPN.com):
BA: .370
H: 130
HR: 43
R: 120
RBI: 99
OBP: .611
SLG: .826
OPS: 1.437<p>And for Pujols:
BA: .324
H: 181
HR: 44
R: 124
RBI: 114
OBP: .409
SLG: .645
OPS: 1.054<p>And for Rolen:
BA: .320
H: 154
HR: 33
R: 107
RBI: 121
OBP: .413
SLG: .608
OPS: 1.021<p>And for Beltre:
BA: .340
H: 190
HR: 47
R: 98
RBI: 115
OBP: .391
SLG: .646
OPS: 1.036<p>Two of these players are on the best team in baseball, one that's currently 3 outs away from its 100th win. If you've read my previous posts on here before, then you know who I'd be voting for.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:27 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Niko Dugan:
I'd lead the league in those categories, too, if 213 of my at-bats didn't count.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You can't fault him for drawing walks, intentional or not. It shows discipline at the plate. That he has only one fewer homer than Pujols does (he's your guy, if I remember right) despite having 200 fewer ABs says it all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:39 pm 

Niko, after looking at the numbers you posted, it only reaffirms my vote for Bonds. His numbers are outrageous. .611 OBP, .826 SLG and 1.437 OBP are just unbelieveable. Not to mention the .370 BA, which I believe (without doing any new research) would lead the majors by a fairly wide margin in most years<p>oF course, I don't have an official vote, but it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:23 pm 

If you need more evidence for Bonds, check out King Kaufman at Salon.com. <p>I'd like to see Beltre get it. I've been a Dodger fan since 1965, and this year's club would've been in the tank without him. (The award is, after all, "most valuable," not "player of the year.") But Bonds' numbers are phenomenal by any standard, and one wonders where the Giants would've been without him. Certainly not breathing down LA's neck right now. (This weekend's series is gonna make WWF look like a quilting bee.)<p>It's late September and there's a pennant race. God, how I love it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:30 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
By the way, my own interpretation of MVP is best player, not the "most valuable" to his team, which I think is a bullshit category.<hr></blockquote><p>I fully agree. The MVP should be the player from the league you'd draft first, based purely on his stats from the year of the award, if all the players in the league were put up for auction the following year. This should have no relation to whether that player is on a good team or a bad team.<p>The writers who only vote for MVPs from teams that make the playoffs pollute the award's significance horribly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:34 pm 
With a homer run per at-bat rate in the neighborhood of 1:8.5, if he walked only 100 times (still an impressive number for any mortal player), Barry would have somewhere around 70 homers...again. Undoubtedly the MVP. He simply changes the way the game is played and his

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]