Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bonds milestone
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:52 am 

Barry Bonds needs only eight more homers to reach 700 (for his career, not the season). Is anybody excited? Does the feat merit a front-page photo?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bonds milestone
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:49 am 

Outside of his local paper? No.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:46 pm 

There are several Bay Area papers that consider themselves "local" to the Giants, and I'd wager most of 'em will have a virtual competition to see which can hype 700 the most.<p>I'll provide the names. You can look up the URLs if you so desire.<p>San Francisco Chronicle
San Francisco Examiner
San Jose Mercury News
Oakland Tribune
Contra Costa Times
Alameda Newspaper Group
Santa Rosa Press Democrat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:17 pm 

I'll probably put it in a skybox on a1 if I'm on when he does it. <p>(And if he does it before deadline, since most of his games don't start till after 10 p.m. here)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:07 pm 

Wake me when he gets near 756.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:28 pm 

I'm feeling a little apathetic myself. But baseball loves stats, especially round numbers (.300 hitter, 20-game winner, 40-40 man), and 700 is a big, round number. He's only the third player to reach it. Are people uninterested because of the steroid scandal?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:31 pm 

I'm interested, but not excited. It's not really about the steroids. I'm just one of those people who doesn't particularly like Barry Bonds and would like to see him fail to pass Hank Aaron (I'd like to see him fail to pass the Babe as well, but that seems a vain hope at this point).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:13 pm 

I'm more interested in Olympic trap shooting than in a baseball player reaching an arbitrary "milestone."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:14 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
I'm feeling a little apathetic myself. But baseball loves stats, especially round numbers (.300 hitter, 20-game winner, 40-40 man), and 700 is a big, round number. He's only the third player to reach it. Are people uninterested because of the steroid scandal?<hr></blockquote><p>Three times now in six years a huge deal has been made about guys (McGwire, Sosa and Bonds) breaking Maris's 61 homers marl. Twice in six years
the record for most homers in a season has been broken (by McGwire and Bonds). All this, I think, ups the standard for Page One attention to baseball milestones considerably.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:16 pm 

I and many others don't especially like Bonds, but beyond that, the hitting of home runs has been cheapened by changes in the game other than steroids.<p>He deserves credit for doing this as a decent outfielder, not as a DH. And if teams hadn't pitched around him as often as they do, he'd have the record already. <p>Yes, when he hits his 700th it almost undoubtedly will be worth major play in whatever promo devices appear daily on Page 1. On a slow day, or in towns where there's a Bonds/Giants connection, something more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:19 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jmcg:
<p>Three times now in six years a huge deal has been made about guys (McGwire, Sosa and Bonds) breaking Maris's 61 homers marl. Twice in six years
the record for most homers in a season has been broken (by McGwire and Bonds). All this, I think, ups the standard for Page One attention to baseball milestones considerably.
<hr></blockquote><p>Agreed. The home run has been depreciated. When Andre Dawson hit 49 for the last-place Cubs, he won the MVP. When Brady Anderson hit 50 as a leadoff batter, I don't think he came close in the voting. Standards have changed. Nevertheless, Bonds's 700th homer is a milestone--however artificial--worth a mention on Page 1.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:04 pm 

As the big, fat number draws near, we have this story from the New York Times.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:39 pm 

As a Cardinals fan, I have to say I despise Barry Bonds, and not just for obvious reasons. I, like Matt, would like to see him fail to meet even Babe's mark. To that degree, I don't think 700 merits more than a small story on the baseball page here, though in the interest of impartiality I would consider a 1A skybox reference. Maybe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:22 am 

I think Bonds is a word for which blanp would probably remove this post, but I have to admit it was a neat moment of serendipity when, with Hank Aaron in the ESPN broadcast booth Sunday night at Turner Field, Bonds hit a ball about five miles. Aaron said he had never seen a ball hit that far at Turner.<p>To his great credit, Aaron has been very classy about the likelihood of Bonds' supplanting him as the home-run king, saying Sunday night, "Records are made to be broken."<p>Joe Morgan asked Aaron what achievement he was most proud of, and Aaron responded that he was most proud of the fact that he never struck out as many as 100 times in a season--which is pretty amazing when sluggers regularly blow past 100 Ks these days. It's a testament to Aaron's ability as a hitter, not just a slugger, and serves as a reminder that Aaron had almost 4,000 hits (3,771) to go with those 755 home runs! <p>Aaron played 23 seasons. Bonds is in his 19th season and has 2,707 hits. He would have to play another three seasons, probably (maybe two and a half), to get to 3,000 hits. It looks as though he will fall well short of Aaron's hits mark, at least.<p>[ August 31, 2004: Message edited by: wordygurdy ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]