Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yankee Stadium
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:26 am 

The Yankees now lead the major leagues by drawing nearly 3.5 million fans a year at their aging, outmoded home, with ticket prices ranging from $8 to $95. The team's principal owner, George Steinbrenner, has long wanted a modern stadium with wider concourses, restaurants, more luxury boxes and club seating that would generate millions more in revenue and increase the value of the team. The efforts to get a new stadium go back at least 18 years. <p>The new stadium would have about 6,000 fewer seats but 39 more luxury boxes and far better sight lines, according to executives who have seen the plans. <p>*So he wants to abandon a historic stadium for one that has fewer seats. Apparently, the main advantage is that rich people won't have to mingle with the hoi polloi. I hope there is a campaign to keep the Yankees in Yankee Stadium.*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Yankee Stadium
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:54 pm 

Amen. As both a New York City taxpayer and a Yankees fan, I am stalwartly opposed to a new stadium. Any Yankees fan who can't see that the only purpose in this is to make the Boss richer is a blind fool.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:33 pm 

I forgot to point out that the first part of my post was from NYT. I question the description of the stadium as "aging" and "outmoded." Hardly seems objective.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:10 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
I forgot to point out that the first part of my post was from NYT. I question the description of the stadium as "aging" and "outmoded." Hardly seems objective.<hr></blockquote><p>It would be a shame to tear down Yankee Stadium and leave the worst stadium in the majors standing in Chicago.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:08 pm 

I freely admit that Yankee Stadium has the worst food of any major-league park, and is lacking in the creature comforts department.<p>It's also the House that Ruth Built. I may not be Mr. Sentimentality, but I have my moments. Leave it be.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:15 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>It would be a shame to tear down Yankee Stadium and leave the worst stadium in the majors standing in Chicago.<hr></blockquote><p>So walls of ivy don't inspire you to rapture? I guess that's to be expected if you have a seat behind a filthy girder.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:13 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:

So walls of ivy don't inspire you to rapture? I guess that's to be expected if you have a seat behind a filthy girder.
<hr></blockquote><p>Let's not try to inspire Tribune Company to spend its money on a new stadium instead of its newspapers.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]