Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Contreras
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:37 pm 

Last spring I took a bike trip through Cuba and have kept in touch with a Cuban baseball fan. I've been sending him news about Jose Contreras, which until recently has been mostly bad.<p>This week I asked him about Contreras's career in Cuba. I'll share his reply for anyone interested:<p>"Contreras was from Pimar del Rio Team,
in western Cuba ( Viñales, Las Terrazas).
When there was an international competition, Olympic Games, World Championship, etc, he played with the National Team. He was quite famous in Cuba, and among the best pitchers in the country. When he left Cuban Team, in Mexico, he was one of our starting pitchers in the National Team ... [snip]

"Most of our Cuban beisbol players are offered very large amount of money every time they go abroad to participate in competitions by the big bosses of the major leagues, some get tired of playing in Cuba and left the country, Duque Hernandez, Contreras, etc. Recently a yacht arrived in Miami with a group of them, among them Kendry Gonzalez, only 20 years old, and he was among the best in Cuba, now he is playing in minor leagues for the rest of the season, and I heard he will play in the major by next season. I also heard he was offered more than 20 usd millions for five years. I'm sure you will hear of him by next season, he is quite good."<p>By the way, one morning I was sitting in a Havana park watching a dozen or so men shouting and gesticulating. An old man was sitting next to me. I asked him what they were arguing about. It was baseball.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Contreras
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:52 pm 

I think my friend might have meant Kendry Morales.<p>ps: Those who go to the link and scroll to end of the story will see a comment posted by our old friend Jack Meoff.<p>[ July 01, 2004: Message edited by: ADKbrown ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]