Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Closing in on Ruth
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:20 pm 

As of 4/19, Bonds has 7 homers for the season. AP reports that gives him 665 and puts him "within 50 of passing Babe Ruth." Wrong! If he hits 49, he'll only be tied with Ruth, so he is not "within" 50 of passing him. <p>Anybody think Bonds will tie the Babe this year? Anybody care?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Closing in on Ruth
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:44 am 

I think Bonds has a pretty good chance, which is too bad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:32 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mort:
I think Bonds has a pretty good chance, which is too bad.<hr></blockquote><p>Only 48 to go to tie Ruth. He is now within 50 of passing him. NYT has a story that suggests Bonds may be the best player ever.<p>[ April 20, 2004: Message edited by: ADKbrown ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:21 pm 

When Barry Bonds can go up on the hill and win a game as a pitcher, I'll be willing to read that NYT article. Not before.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:12 am 

He has 666 now... wonder how many heds'll say somethin' "devilish" ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:28 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ***me***:
He has 666 now... wonder how many heds'll say somethin' "devilish" ?<hr></blockquote>He didn't stay "diabolical" for long. The dude's on a tear.<p>I'd sort of forgotten something until he singled in a run Sunday against LA, after hitting two into the cove: Bonds is a good hitter, period. I think we tend to lose sight of this with power hitters who also hit for average. Or I do, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:41 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
He didn't stay "diabolical" for long. The dude's on a tear.<p>I'd sort of forgotten something until he singled in a run Sunday against LA, after hitting two into the cove: Bonds is a good hitter, period. I think we tend to lose sight of this with power hitters who also hit for average. Or I do, anyway.<hr></blockquote><p>He's selective. He's willing to walk, unlike many power hitters. His on-base average is phenomenal. <p>And when he gets a pitch he likes, he almost always nails it. If he were unconcerned about homers and RBIs, he'd hit .380.<p>With great hitters in front of and behind him in the order, there's no telling what he might do.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]