Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Still in the game
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:29 pm 

One of the ways I keep my age in perspective is by keeping track of a few token athletes and celebs. I'm the same age as Michael Jordan and Jodie Foster. <p>My main signpost is Roger Clemens. Somehow, I humor myself by thinking: As long as Clemens is still on the mound, then I, too, could conceivably walk out there every fourth day. I'm in the best shape I've been in in 15 years. Today, the Rocket unretired. I've still got it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Still in the game
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:31 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
One of the ways I keep my age in perspective is by keeping track of a few token athletes and celebs. I'm the same age as Michael Jordan and Jodie Foster. <p>My main signpost is Roger Clemens. Somehow, I humor myself by thinking: As long as Clemens is still on the mound, then I, too, could conceivably walk out there every fourth day. I'm in the best shape I've been in in 15 years. Today, the Rocket unretired. I've still got it.<hr></blockquote><p>Good to know you've still got it, JJ.<p>Regarding the Rocket, NOW let's see him dictate to the Hall which cap he wears. (He swore last summer the Hall would not tell him which cap he would wear and that if the Hall did put him into a Red Sox cap, he would boycott the induction ceremony and have his own celebration in Texas.) He should absolutely go in as a Red Sox.<p>Too bad he didn't end his career on the note on which he ended his Yankee tenure: a strikeout in the World Series.<p>I don't know about Clemens' ability to keep his ERA down at Tenrun Field either. It's a fly-ball-hitter's park, and Clemens is known for fastballs, which can be hit a long way if they are thrown straight. (He's also known now for splitters and forkballs, which often dive out of the strike zone and cause batters to swing and miss.)<p>Pettitte, I think, won't be as affected by Tenrun as Clemens because Pettitte is a ground-ball pitcher. <p>I think Clemens might be lucky to win 10 games with an ERA under 5, and if that's the case, why bother? The $5 mil he's pocketing surely can't be the lure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:48 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
My main signpost is Roger Clemens. Somehow, I humor myself by thinking: As long as Clemens is still on the mound, then I, too, could conceivably walk out there every fourth day. I'm in the best shape I've been in in 15 years. Today, the Rocket unretired. I've still got it.<hr></blockquote><p>I heard it here first (I get much of my news from testycopyeditors). I've mixed feelings. It will seem anticlimactic the next time he retires. He should be able surpass Carlton in strikeouts, though. <p>I can't think of any professional athlete still active who is older than me, unless you count senior golfers. Maybe Jim Bouton will come out of retirement.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:44 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
I heard it here first (I get much of my news from testycopyeditors). I've mixed feelings. It will seem anticlimactic the next time he retires. He should be able surpass Carlton in strikeouts, though.<hr></blockquote><p>Count me as glad to see him back. Most major league pitchers can only dream of having a career year as good as Clemens' last season. He can still get batters out; why shouldn't he stick around? And I agree, we can watch him chase and catch Carlton in strikeouts. (And in 2005, we can watch Randy Johnson pass both of them.)<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>I can't think of any professional athlete still active who is older than me, unless you count senior golfers. Maybe Jim Bouton will come out of retirement.<hr></blockquote><p>Ha! Don't hold your breath. According to the last revision of "Ball Four," Bouton gave up baseball completely in 1997, by which time he couldn't even get out his amateur league opponents.<p>[ January 13, 2004: Message edited by: Gary Kirchherr ]</p>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:11 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Kirchherr:
<p>Ha! Don't hold your breath. According to the last revision of "Ball Four," Bouton gave up baseball completely in 1997, by which time he couldn't even get out his amateur league opponents.<p>[ January 13, 2004: Message edited by: Gary Kirchherr ]<hr></blockquote><p>In that case, I still have a long way to go to catch up to Jack Nicklaus.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:54 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Kirchherr:
Ha! Don't hold your breath. According to the last revision of "Ball Four," Bouton gave up baseball completely in 1997, by which time he couldn't even get out his amateur league opponents.<hr></blockquote>Which for some reason reminded me that somewhere in all my stuff I have a 3-column photo from the Eugene (Ore.) Register-Guard of Bouton standing on the mound circa 1977 in the blazing-red uniform of the Portland Mavericks, apparently unleashing a stream of profanities at the Eugene Emeralds after they jacked him for a boatload o' runs. <p>(Bouton hooked up with Atlanta in '78, his final year in the majors, and I remember some of the Dodgers expressing contempt for him after he shut them out, saying he didn't "challenge" them. I've been a Dodgers fan all my life, but that struck me as lame-assed macho whining. Anyway, what did they expect from a knuckleballer?)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:28 am 

My main signpost is Roger Clemens. Somehow, I humor myself by thinking: As long as Clemens is still on the mound, then I, too, could conceivably walk out there every fourth day. I'm in the best shape I've been in in 15 years. Today, the Rocket unretired. I've still got it.<hr></blockquote><p>
Yeah, and I've still got my scorecard from the penultimate game of the 2003 season at Yankee Stadium, with my words "Roger Clemens' 310th and final career win" scribbled gleefully atop it. Hmph.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:26 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
Yeah, and I've still got my scorecard from the penultimate game of the 2003 season at Yankee Stadium, with my words "Roger Clemens' 310th and final career win" scribbled gleefully atop it. Hmph.<hr></blockquote><p>Don't throw out that scorecard. He still has to win No. 311.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:42 pm 

Anything to keep Bouton from further trying to make a maryr out of himself with another self-serving book.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:27 pm 

Jesse Orosco is retiring from the major leagues, unable to find the enthusiasm to get ready for another season against players half his age.<p>After a record-setting career, the 46-year-old left-hander told the Arizona Diamondbacks on Wednesday that he decided to say goodbye to baseball after 24 major league seasons.<p>*J.J. must be feeling a bit older today.*

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]