Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Talkin' Baseball
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:04 pm 

The baseball announcers don't return my calls and act like they're not home when I drop by. So perhaps some TCE can tell me why they say "The batter is 2-for-3" rather than "2-of-3," and the ball was "swung on" rather than "swung at."<p>And don't tell me it's because they've always said it that way. I know that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Talkin' Baseball
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:14 pm 

They've always said it that way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:39 pm 

Probably because "oh-of-3" would be hard to say.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:15 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
Probably because "oh-of-3" would be hard to say.<hr></blockquote><p>Pardon the cultural intrusion but I can't help sharing this from Britain's Daily Telegraph:<p>Has there ever been the result 'East Fife 5, Forfar 4' or is this just a joke played out on the Two Ronnies Show many years ago?
Mike Carr<p>Statman John: Nearly, but not quite. The teams have met 126 times and the closest they have come was in the 1963-64 season when a Scottish Division Two game ended Forfar 5, East Fife 4. Other games have ended East Fife 5, Forfar 2 (in 1964-65 and 1929-30) and Forfar 3, East Fife 5. So, it's goodnight from me.<p>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:20 pm 

If this Statman John ever gets tired of that job, I'm sure he could be the next PA announcer at Yankee Stadium.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]