Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: And bring in Steve Trout to face the left-handed batter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:45 pm 

Why do managers still insist on bringing their ace starters into a game for unfamiliar late-inning relief, on short rest, thinking they'll be as effective as a bullpen regular? The Phils did it tonight and, predictably, it backfired, as the Giants easily pushed across the winning run in the bottom of the ninth. Is Charlie Manuel so old that he's a contemporary of Jim Frey?

The strategy is rivaled in its ineffectiveness only by the strategy of leaving the tired starting ace in the game too long based on the logic that he's the guy who carried you all season and brought you that far, so you stick with him.

Only a genius like Frey, manager of the '84 Cubs, could marry the two strategies in one huge brain cramp: leaving ace Rick Sutcliffe in a few batters too long before finally yanking him in favor of fellow starter Steve Trout.

Pardon me. I finally watched a baseball game this year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: And bring in Steve Trout to face the left-handed batter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:57 pm 

Well, I'm thrilled with that particular decision. My Buster/Giants win!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:41 am 

I would suggest that bit of "strategy" is only topped by Joe Girardi's insistence on using his binder instead of his brain.
OK, I can, perhaps, handle the intentional walk with first base open and a "good" matchup coming with Molina. But (a) the book ain't always right on "good" matchups and (b) you've just asked A.J. Burnett, a notoriously inconsistent pitcher, to throw four balls outside the strike zone and then throw Molina a good pitch.
If you're insistent on the intentional walk, have Burnett do that, then come out and take the ball from him and go to the bullpen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:30 am 

Well said.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:04 am 

Quote:
Armed with the lead, the Giants turned to Lincecum, their two-time Cy Young Award winner, in the bottom of the eighth. Pitching from the stretch position, as if he were a full-time reliever, Lincecum struck out Jayson Werth but surrendered singles to Shane Victorino and Raul Ibanez.

That prompted Giants manager Bruce Bochy to summon Wilson, a bona fide closer.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]