Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Decline, fall o' the day
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:56 pm 

Quote:
These are the newspapers that traveled during the season but are not covering the World Series:
Akron (Ohio) Beacon Journal Orange County (Calif.) Register
Arizona Republic Palm Beach (Fla.) Post
Atlanta Journal & Constitution Pittsburgh Post Gazette
Baltimore Sun Pittsburgh Tribune Review
Cincinnati Enquirer Providence (R.I.) Journal
Cleveland Plain Dealer Sacramento (Calif.) Bee
Contra Costa (Calif.) Times St. Paul Pioneer Press
Dallas Morning News San Francisco Chronicle
Dayton Daily News San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News
Detroit Free Press Seattle Times
Detroit News South Florida Sun Sentinel
Fort Worth Star Telegram Tacoma (Wash.) News Tribune
Houston Chronicle Tampa Tribune
Minneapolis Star Tribune Worcester (Mass.) Telegram.
Oakland Tribune

[Murray Chass][ex-Times]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Decline, fall o' the day
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:32 am 

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see what the big deal is about the fact that newspapers in Akron, Ohio, and Contra Costa County, Calif., are not sending their reporters to cover a World Series between teams in Philadelphia and New York.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:01 am 

A perhaps related issue: How many Eastern Time Zone papers, or even those on Central Time, can't get the results into their print editions because the games end so late?

Unless my paper somehow had money to burn, I'd think hard before sending staff writers on the road if what they'd write at midnight wouldn't make it into the morning paper.

Even if we took a serious Web-first approach (a whole other topic), or had a local angle to cover (a hometown star, perhaps), I'd wonder if the money could be better spent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:48 pm 

I caused a ruckus a few years ago when the editor of the fishwrap where I worked addressed the newsroom on the latest round of belt-tightening (I think this was "only" a salary and hiring freeze), and I stood up and asked why we needed to send eight people (three "reporters", three photographers, two columnists) to an NBA playoff game on the road. "Our readers expect that" was the answer.

Later, a top sports editor went out of her way to snarl at me, but several other people told me I spoke for them as well.

That canary-carpet was still sending reporters to World Series and Super Bowls and the NASCAR circuit and the Kentucky Derby with no local connections. (I'm still mystified why we had a full-time horse-racing columnist.) I never understood why.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]