Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Embarrassing headline
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:01 am
Posts: 38
Location: Sarasota, FL
"Pubic Park planned for Creekwood" ran in an edition of our paper today. I was off yesterday, so I had no part in it, but geez. <p>Just a reminder to all to be careful when using the word public in a headline. If that skinny little 'l' is missing, the hed just might make it onto Jay Leno's desk. LOL


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Embarrassing headline
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:01 am
Posts: 309
Location: Upper Midwest
I'm on vacation this week, but I found it annoying that "skittish" showed up in a big 40-point headline as "skiddish" on an inside "A" section page.<p>Gatekeeper<p>-30-


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Embarrassing headline
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 8342
Location: Bethesda, Md.
<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gatekeeper:
I'm on vacation this week, but I found it annoying that "skittish" showed up in a big 40-point headline as "skiddish" on an inside "A" section page.
<hr></blockquote><p>It could be worse. It could have been on purpose, as it was in the Dallas Morning News on Feb. 26., 2003:<p><font face="Arial" size="6">It's a bumper crop of skiddish drivers</font></p><p>[ June 25, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Embarrassing headline
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:01 am
Posts: 1399
Location: In the newsroom
<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jamal:
"Pubic Park planned for Creekwood" ran in an edition of our paper today. I was off yesterday, so I had no part in it, but geez. <p>Just a reminder to all to be careful when using the word public in a headline. If that skinny little 'l' is missing, the hed just might make it onto Jay Leno's desk. LOL<hr></blockquote>The best way I've found to combat this is to run a search for pubic in any story that has the word public. Has saved us on more than one occasion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Embarrassing headline
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:01 am
Posts: 309
Location: Upper Midwest
<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>It could be worse. It could have been on purpose, as it was in the Dallas Morning News on Feb. 26., 2003:<p><font face="Arial" size="6">It's a bumper crop of skiddish drivers</font><p>[ June 25, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]<hr></blockquote><p>**cringes**<p>Gatekeeper<p>-30-


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Embarrassing headline
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:01 am
Posts: 76
Location: NJ
<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>The best way I've found to combat this is to run a search for pubic in any story that has the word public. Has saved us on more than one occasion.<hr></blockquote><p>Another good trick: Have "pubic" taken out of the system's spell-check dictionary. It appears rarely enough in stories that there's no real inconvenience in having it pop up as a misspelling when it isn't.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

What They're Saying




Useful Links