Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Some advice
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:31 pm 

I'm fairly new to the world of a full-time job, so I'm seeking some guidance. A former colleague alerted me to a job opening and gave me a name and phone number. <p>So do I call this person and introduce myself over the phone? Or should I send a resume and some clips and then call? <p>I ask because I don't relish the thought of speaking to someone right after interrupting them from whatever they might have been doing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Some advice
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:36 pm 

Call. Definitely. Personal contact is more effective than other methods. Unsolicited resumes tend to "get filed accordingly", (i.e. they go in the trash bin).
And believe me, busy people often welcome interruptions.
When I applied for a job at my current paper, I sent about six emails which received no reply at all. I felt a bit rejected, but decided to call the chief sub on the paper, who suggested I talk to the desk chief on features. So I did and was invited for an interview. I took my clips to the consequent interview and was offered a job on the spot.<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:47 pm 

By all means, call. That is what was intended when you were given the name and number. Presumably the intermediary has told the "name" to expect your call.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:04 pm 

One major metro's hiring director dislikes e-mail; prefers using the U.S. Postal Service.
Have yet to figure out her opinion of telephones.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:40 pm 

Can your former colleague fill you in on the contact's schedule? That way you can call during what's likely to be downtime rather than in the middle of deadline frenzy.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]