Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stoopid Science Fiction
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:10 pm 

Scientists Teleport Not Kirk, but an Atom
by Kenneth Chang
The New York Times<p>And the beryllium atom said to the Starship Enterprise, beam me up!<p>Two teams of scientists report today that for the first time they have teleported individual atoms, taking characteristics of one atom and imprinting them on a second. <p>In physics, teleportation means creating a replica of an object, or at least some aspect of it, at some distance from the original. The act of teleporting always destroys the original - not entirely unlike the transporters of the "Star Trek" television shows and movies - so it is impossible produce multiple copies. <p>...<p>(Seventeen grafs later):<p>"It's certainly not useful for any beaming in the 'Star Trek' sense," Dr. Blatt of the University of Innsbruck said. "Consider even some molecules or something small like a virus. I cannot imagine it. As far as I can see, it's not going to happen."

Post subject: Re: Stoopid Science Fiction
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:49 pm 

Dammit, why should the facts stand in the way of a reporter's clever lede? (I haven't seen the whole story, so I'll just have to trust that at some point, we're told why this accomplishment is important.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:20 pm 

And of course, this begs the question, if this is how "Star Trek" beaming works, is it the SAME Captain Kirk and friends, or simply brand-new copies of them made every time they teleport?<p>And does this make Scotty a mass murderer?<p>Oops, wrong forum...
:asbestos suit on:<p>Jen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:57 pm 

This shoots down our scheme to save money by canning all the delivery drivers and beaming our papers to your doorstep.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:01 pm 

Please, can we cease and desist with the Beam Me Up, Scotty line? Enough, already. It ceased being humorous or witty long ago and is now edging past banal into hackneyed.<p>I'll take my medicine now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:16 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jen:
And of course, this begs the question...<hr></blockquote>
No, it doesn't.<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:32 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DominEditrix:

No, it doesn't.<p>D.
<hr></blockquote><p>Heh. You're right. That's what happens when a girl who should probably be in the emergency room tries to mess with the Big League Copy Editors.<p>Can anyone, by the way, recommend a board or forum where the nitpicky questions can be asked?<p>Jen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:45 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jen:
<p>Can anyone, by the way, recommend a board or forum where the nitpicky questions can be asked?
<hr></blockquote><p>Nitpicky questions are OK here, although we tend toward the Big Picture.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:19 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by slummingreporter:
Sorta begs the question, actually<hr></blockquote>It still doesn't. <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Begging the question: <p>Arguing in a Circle: The basing of two conclusions each upon the other: That the world is good follows from the known goodness of God; that God is good is known from the excellence of the world he has made.<p>Petitio Principii: 'assumption of the basis'. The fallacy of founding a conclusion on a basis that as much needs to be proved as the conclusion itself. Arguing in a circle (see above) is a common form of p.p. That foxhunting is not cruel, since the fox enjoys the fun & that one must keep servants because all respectable people do so, are other examples of begging the question or p.p., in which the argument is not circular. <hr></blockquote>Fowler, Modern English Usage<p>[ June 21, 2004: Message edited by: DominEditrix ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:38 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by majorbabs:
Please, can we cease and desist with the Beam Me Up, Scotty line? Enough, already. It ceased being humorous or witty long ago and is now edging past banal into hackneyed.<hr></blockquote>Plus, no one on the crew of the Enterprise* ever said it.<p>*"NCC-1701. No bloody A, B, C or D."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:30 pm 

You Dirty Rats, next they'll tell me no one said Play It Again Sam in Casablanca [insert wink here].<p>[ June 21, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:15 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
Plus, no one on the crew of the Enterprise* ever said it.<p>*"NCC-1701. No bloody A, B, C or D."<hr></blockquote>And now, from the London Times, a truly witty headline: <p>'Star Trek' sex row warps race to rule Senate <p>D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:11 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by slummingreporter:
I am curious, now. What would be a proper use then of "begs the question." Not being snarky, here, just curious.<hr></blockquote>See the above definition, with examples. "Begging the question" is not a synonym for "raising the question"; it refers to a circular form of argument that takes a proposition and structures the argument so that the proposition is assumed to be true, then used to "prove" that the conclusion [a reiteration of the proposition] is true. It's similar to a tautology.<p>Classic example:<p>According to the Bible, God exists. As the Bible is God's word and God doesn't lie, God must therefore exist.<p>Or: slumming reporter is a writer. All writers are drunkards, therefore slumming reporter is a drunkard.<p>[Whilst many a writer I have known drinks to still the voices in his head*, I would not accept that as a tenable argument for determining anyone's degree of alcohol consumption.]<p>OTOH, you may accept the validity of the following, which neither begs a question nor argues a proposition:<p>The DominEditrix is an old curmudgeoness who believes that the English language should be vital and evolving, but has observed that, of late, it appears to be devolving into lowest-common-denominator babble. She spent too many decades tweaking a comma here, a clause there, striking out factual errors and distilling the gist of a piece into a few pithy words not to have noticed the linguisitic decline of what passed across her desk. [If you think publishing is bad, try law.] Now that she is in testy semi-retirement, she has decided to remain as cantankerous as ever she was back in the Age of Aquarius. She still refuses to grok anything, continues to believe in the who/whom distinction, and would cheerfully light matches under the fingernails of those who say "between you and I".<p>D.<p>* Not sexist of me; I just don't know any female writers who drink to excess.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:11 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DominEditrix:
<p>* Not sexist of me; I just don't know any female writers who drink to excess.<hr></blockquote><p>Stop it! You're killing me!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:36 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
Stop it! You're killing me!<hr></blockquote>Ha! I never said they didn't exist, just that I don't know any personally. The female writers I know who self-medicate tend to indulge in pills rather than liquor.<p>Liquor, after all, is fattening.<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]