Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: The head spins
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:40 pm 

The No. 2 editor at the Lynchburg News & Advance resigned yesterday after acknowledging that he had tampered with the Virginia paper's entries for journalism prizes.
Bob Morgan, the associate managing editor, made changes to News & Advance stories after they were published and submitted the altered electronic versions to the Virginia Press Association. ...
In a note posted on the paper's Web site, Stinnett described "a breach within our organization." . . . As a result of this discovery, we are reviewing past contest entries and will change the process we use for entering future contests."
Washington Post<p>***How about changing it to "not wasting time and effort entering meaningless contests"?***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The head spins
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:04 pm 

One notes that people wishing to be considered for Australia's Walkley Awards are required to declare that the work is substantially their own, (ie not completely rewritten by copy editors). Modesty forbids elaboration about other such lotteries. I'm still fuming decades later.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:08 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
One notes that people wishing to be considered for Australia's Walkley Awards are required to declare that the work is substantially their own, (ie not completely rewritten by copy editors). Modesty forbids elaboration about other such lotteries. I'm still fuming decades later.<hr></blockquote><p>One man's "rewrite" is another man's "editing." Are you saying the contest requires essentially unedited entries?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:13 pm 

Editing is fine. What doesn't cut the mustard is when someone like myself has to read it, grasp the concepts, turn the submitted copy upside down and write it in plain English. It's best I elaborate no further.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:29 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
[i]The No. 2 editor at the Lynchburg News & Advance resigned yesterday after acknowledging that he had tampered with the Virginia paper's entries for journalism prizes.<hr></blockquote><p>Another star in the crown of my Beloved Parent Company. Between this, the hockey editorial and a round of "consolidations" -- layoffs -- starting at my newspaper this week, I'm beginning to wonder if having my lunch bought twice a week is worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:22 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
[i]The No. 2 editor at the Lynchburg News & Advance resigned yesterday after acknowledging that he had tampered with the Virginia paper's entries for journalism prizes.
Bob Morgan, the associate managing editor, made changes to News & Advance stories after they were published and submitted the altered electronic versions to the Virginia Press Association. ...
In a note posted on the paper's Web site, Stinnett described "a breach within our organization." . . . As a result of this discovery, we are reviewing past contest entries and will change the process we use for entering future contests."
<hr></blockquote><p>I'm amazed they have an AME for anything. I dealt with Stinnett during an abortive attempt for employment there, and he seemed solid. That said, Media General was not known for quality during my time in Charlottesville, and during a recent trip back, I discovered that things got even worse: The five-person copy desk is now a one-person affair.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]