Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: GED equals.... what?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:24 am 

General Equivalency Diploma? General Equivalency Degree? General Education Diploma or Degree? What does it stand for?<p>I've tried the AP stylebook, my dictionary and the GED home page. The home page continually uses GED as an adjective, e.g. your GED credential, the GED test and describes itself as the General Educational Development Testing Service. So is saying that someone "got their GED" incorrect?<p>Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks to anyone who knows and will tell me.<p>[ June 10, 2004: Message edited by: majorbabs ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: GED equals.... what?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:41 pm 

It is a general equivalency diploma, and I see nothing wrong with saying "got his GED." GED can be used as either an adjective or a noun.<p>My son has one, and everyone involved in the process--we had many hoops to jump through, as he was underage--routinely talked about his "getting" it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:48 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
It is a general equivalency diploma, and I see nothing wrong with saying "got his GED." GED can be used as either an adjective or a noun.<p>My son has one, and everyone involved in the process--we had many hoops to jump through, as he was underage--routinely talked about his "getting" it.<hr></blockquote><p>Our styleguide says:<p>General Educational Development, not General Equivalency Diploma. Don't refer to a GED as a degree or a diploma. It's a credential that documents high school-level academic skills.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:54 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Walter:
<p>Our styleguide says:<p>General Educational Development, not General Equivalency Diploma. Don't refer to a GED as a degree or a diploma. It's a credential that documents high school-level academic skills.<hr></blockquote>Interesting. I guess whoever wrote your stylebook has never seen what's printed on the certificate that is awarded.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:55 pm 

Well, remember that General Educational Development is actually the name of the company. The question is if GED can ALSO stand for something else, like a General Equivalency Diploma.<p>Thanks to all who responded. The verdict: let GED stand on its own and assume that everyone knows its meaning, rather than print an incorrect acronymial definition.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:58 pm 

I have to add that after working for American Tool Company in the 80s, I now say "Vise-Grip locking hand tools" -- which is correct -- rather than "vise-grips," even though that's how it's most often used colloquially. <p>I thought it might be the same with GED. Seems it is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:51 pm 

Babs, you must get some interesting looks from hardware-store employees.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by majorbabs:
So is saying that someone "got their GED" incorrect?<hr></blockquote>I always changed "their" ("his" or "her," actually) to "a" in sentences like that, reasoning that if someone received something, it's redundant to say it's theirs. (I also changed "earned," when found, to "received," since we don't know if the person actually earned the sheepskin.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:05 pm 

Actually GED is in Webster's New World College Dictionary, 4th edition, with General Educational Development listed first as first definition for a trademark, and "general equivalency diploma" as the meaning for the abbreviation ....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:20 pm 

Thanks, JJ. It may be time for a new dictionary.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:31 pm 

Once again corporate America is trying to hijack our heritage. GED as general equivalency diploma existed long before some testing company decided to use GED as its initials. Now Donald Trump wants to patent the phrase "You're fired.' Well I was fired plenty of times before Donald Trump earned his first 100 million bucks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:02 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 12thfret:
Once again corporate America is trying to hijack our heritage. GED as general equivalency diploma existed long before some testing company decided to use GED as its initials. Now Donald Trump wants to patent the phrase "You're fired.' Well I was fired plenty of times before Donald Trump earned his first 100 million bucks!<hr></blockquote> I wouldn't blame corporate America for this one. The testing service, which is more or less the high school equivalent of the College Board, is part of the American Council on Education.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:37 pm 

A curse on abbreviations. GED it? Got it? Good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:30 am 

Wiggins, you aren't quoting "The Court Jester," are you? Enjoying the wordplay, regardless.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:53 am 

The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:21 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KfitzR:
The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.<hr></blockquote>Does this mean we have to buss the birthmark on the backside of a baby?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:46 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by majorbabs:
Wiggins, you aren't quoting "The Court Jester," are you? Enjoying the wordplay, regardless.<hr></blockquote><p>Get it? Got it? Good. comes from the rather sardonic English teacher I had when I was 13. A wonderful man.<p>[ June 13, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]