Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: "Coffin" or "Casket"?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:11 pm 

Coffin.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "Coffin" or "Casket"?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:35 pm 

Coffin. And way out of place hearing Australian media types using casket.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:43 pm 

Unless you are referring to the newspaper in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, which is called - for reasons completely beyond me - The Casket.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:37 pm 

I looked up both in Webster's and didn't see any difference, other than "casket" being an Americanism. Why the preference?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:07 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
I looked up both in Webster's and didn't see any difference, other than "casket" being an Americanism. Why the preference?<hr></blockquote><p>
"Casket" is used by morticians to mean a fancy coffin. Let's just call it a coffin. (I'm sure Reagan's coffin is of high quality but it doesn't look especially flashy.)<p>Aside: That "Eterna-rest adjustable bedding system" is pretty tempting. "I'd hate to have poor lumbar support when I'm dead," a wag quipped.<p>[ June 10, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:58 pm 

Who knew there was a coffin called the Last Supper? egad! <p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>
"Casket" is used by morticians to mean a fancy coffin. Let's just call it a coffin. (I'm sure Reagan's coffin is of high quality but it doesn't look especially flashy.)<p>Aside: That "Eterna-rest adjustable bedding system" is pretty tempting. "I'd hate to have poor lumbar support when I'm dead," a wag quipped.<p>[ June 10, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]
<hr></blockquote>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:37 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
"Casket" is used by morticians <hr></blockquote>I thought it was "funeral directors" now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:51 pm 

Or is it Eternity-based REALTORS®?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:40 pm 

Worse yet ... http://www.funeraldepot.com/returntosender.htm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:19 am 

Or, as Pete Zicari might recall, there was what the Post-Standard in Syracuse once called it in a front-page caption about a local Marine who died in the '82 Beirut barracks bombing:<p>
AN HONOR GUARD carries the flag-draped coffee of Lance Cpl. John Doe.....<p>Needless to say, his parents were quite upset.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:11 am 

Regardless of what the dictionary says, it's my understanding that in the funeral business that caskets are, indeed, different from coffins --and it's more than just being 'fancier.' According to www.funeralplan.com (and other sources i've checked with), caskets are rectangular but coffins are those six-sided things you sometimes see in vampire movies. They're wider at the shoulders and taper toward the feet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:55 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dkg:
According to www.funeralplan.com (and other sources i've checked with), caskets are rectangular but coffins are those six-sided things you sometimes see in vampire movies. They're wider at the shoulders and taper toward the feet.<hr></blockquote><p>This is certainly a US thing. In Europe there is no such thing as a casket. Then again, I've never seen a US-style 'casket' here; all coffins are of the 'vampiric' type over here, so maybe that is the difference.<p>My €0.02.<p>J...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]