Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Two gems in one morning
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:43 am 

From Yahoo: News today:<p>"Nation Mourns the Death of Ronald Reagan"<p>Am I mistaken, or aren't you supposed to mourn a PERSON, not the death of that person? It sounds like the nation is sad the death is over. <p>And much more clear-cut, in the Washington Post Express:<p>Man Charged With Illegally Filming Under Teen's Shirt<p>A Virginia Beach man who was charged last month in Norfolk with ointing a video camera under a teenager's skirt has been charged with committing the same crime in Greenbrier Mall.<p>Well... was it the same crime or wasn't it? :o uch:<p>Jen

Post subject: Re: Two gems in one morning
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:38 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jen:
From Yahoo: News today:<p>"Nation Mourns the Death of Ronald Reagan"<p>Am I mistaken, or aren't you supposed to mourn a PERSON, not the death of that person? It sounds like the nation is sad the death is over. <p><hr></blockquote><p>You're right, of course. It's a common error. There is no excuse for letting it through.<p>[ June 07, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:52 am 

I had to read this heading three times before I worked out that some Afghani wasn't p*ssed off about voting on a sunny day (it's been a long day):<p>Afghan attacks cloud free voting

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:33 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lee:
I had to read this heading three times before I worked out that some Afghani wasn't p*ssed off about voting on a sunny day (it's been a long day):<p>Afghan attacks cloud free voting<hr></blockquote><p>
I'm surprised that you found it was a person, not a sun hater. An afghan is a rug or a weird looking dog, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:49 am 

I was so far off the mark overall, what difference does that make? :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:58 am 

An Afghan is a person, too. Afghani is a currency.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:32 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tim Lawson:
An Afghan is a person, too. Afghani is a currency.<hr></blockquote><p>From your post to wire service editors' ears, I wish.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]