Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Virtual reality
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:51 am 

"I think they got it right. Mostly," writes Times public editor Daniel Okrent. "The editors' note to readers will have served its apparent function only if it launches a new round of examination and investigation. I don't mean further acts of contrition or garment-rending, but a series of aggressively reported stories detailing the misinformation, disinformation and suspect analysis that led virtually the entire world to believe Hussein had W.M.D. at his disposal." <p>** "Virtually the entire world"? Not even close. Only a newspaper from another galaxy would have a "public editor" so out of touch with the public. **<p>[ June 01, 2004: Message edited by: jjmoney62 ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Virtual reality
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:00 pm 

"My copy will not be edited, except for grammar, spelling, and the like." (Daniel Okrent)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:05 pm 

It's "and the like" part that gives us a loophole, Dan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:09 am 

BuzzFlash
With Judith Miller's flawed reporting, the New York Times was to the Iraq War what Matt Drudge was to the Clinton impeachment. Forced mea culpas are no longer sufficient from the paper of record; what's needed is regime change.
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=18842

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:41 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
"My copy will not be edited, except for grammar, spelling, and the like." (Daniel Okrent)<hr></blockquote><p>Stop it. You're killing me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:41 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
"My copy will not be edited, except for grammar, spelling, and the like." (Daniel Okrent)<hr></blockquote><p>I think his intention is to assure readers that the powers at the Times won't soften his criticism of the paper.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:52 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
<p>I think his intention is to assure readers that the powers at the Times won't soften his criticism of the paper.<hr></blockquote><p>If so, that's what he should have said. As it is, it's obvious that his column is essentially unedited.<p>[ June 02, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]