Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another Cultural Adventure
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:50 pm 

This time for sure, the New York Times Magazine has teenage culture nailed.<p>I first met Jesse online at facethejury.com, one of many Internet sites popular with high-school and college students, where teenagers can post profiles, exchange e-mail and arrange to hook up. (Though facethejury.com, like many such sites, requires members to be 18, younger teenagers routinely lie about their age.) Over the course of several months spent hanging out and communicating online with nearly 100 high-school students (mostly white, middle- and upper-middle-class suburban and exurban teenagers from the Northeast and Midwest), I heard the same thing: hooking up is more common than dating.<p>***Must be true! (But if it is, so what?)***<p>[ May 29, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Another Cultural Adventure
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:55 pm 

The two got to only first base (kissing), which is about the only base that anyone can agree on anymore. ''I don't understand the base system at all,'' Jesse said, lying on the floor and staring at the ceiling. ''If making out is first base, what's second base?''
''We need to establish an international base system,'' Brian said. ''Because right now, frankly, no one knows what's up with the bases. And that's a problem.''
Jesse nodded in agreement. ''First base is obviously kissing,'' Brian said.
''Obviously,'' Jesse said.
''But here's the twist,'' Brian said. ''Historically, second base was breasts. But I don't think second base is breasts anymore. I think that's just a given part of first base. I mean, how can you make out without copping a feel?''
''True,'' Jesse said. ''And if third base is oral, what's second base?''
''How does this work for girls?'' asked Ashley, the 17-year-old junior. ''I mean, are the bases what's been done to you, or what you've done?''
''If it's what base you've gone to with a girl, you go by whoever had more done,'' Jesse told her.
''But we're girls,'' Ashley said. ''So we've got on bases with guys?''
''Right, but it doesn't matter,'' Jesse said. ''It's not what base you've had done to you, it's what bases you get to.''
Kate shook her head. ''I'm totally lost.''
''See how complicated this is?'' Brian said. ''Now if someone asks you, 'So, how far did you get with her?' you have to say, 'Well, how do your bases go?' ''
<p>***Bill Keller really has to do something about this magazine. It's way out of hand.***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:54 pm 

It looks like the New York Times is fucked.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:06 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
. ''Historically, second base was breasts.
''
<p>
<hr></blockquote><p>Who says kids nowadays don't know history?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:35 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
It looks like the New York Times is fucked.<hr></blockquote><p>On a related note, look who's trying to be funny but doesn't even come close.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:44 am 

Has anyone notified Larry Clark?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:23 pm 

Man, that Brooks column is putrid. It's like a shitty imitation of shitty columnist Dave Barry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:19 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
It looks like the New York Times is fucked.<hr></blockquote><p>At the risk of opening old arguments, still has an obscenity check, one imagines.<p>[Wiggins ducks for cover]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]