Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pretty soon I'll be scratchin' fleas
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:25 am 

From the local:<p>"ARF-ritis Walk hails humans, canine pals"<p>Yes, this year at the third annual arthritis walk, you can bring your dog. <p>Also: "Three county residents -- two humans and one four-legged friend -- are being honored at the event."

Post subject: Re: Pretty soon I'll be scratchin' fleas
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:32 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cootaboot:
From the local:<p>"ARF-ritis Walk hails humans, canine pals"<p>Yes, this year at the third annual arthritis walk, you can bring your dog. <p>Also: "Three county residents -- two humans and one four-legged friend -- are being honored at the event."<hr></blockquote><p>Does the Sunday paper always have an animal theme? I'm almost curious enough to register at the site to find out what the following headline means beneath the home page's lead photo, which shows two horses:

Teens replacing adults in Santa Maria's fields

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pretty soon I'll be scratchin' fleas
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:20 pm 

The horse photo belonged to yesterday's lead story, which was about abuse charges at a ranch owned by a local nutjob. Today's story is about the use of young field workers -- the photo you should be seeing is of a young woman in a pink shirt with a bandanna over her mouth and her hands cupped behind her head.<p>Because we all love narrative, I'll give you the lede:<p>"In some ways, Apolinar Ramirez Garcia, who died in a car crash near Sisquoc this month, was a typical 17-year-old boy: He had a way with girls, and he loved to dance.
"But most of Apolinar's life as a teenager was not so carefree. At the time of his death on May 4, driving home after a 10-hour day picking lettuce, he had been working full time in the fields of the Santa Maria Valley for three years. He did not attend school."<p>Thank God the reporter never bogs you down with details such as how he died.<p>Also, how many 17-year-old boys have a way with girls?<p>[[ Perhaps I should stop knocking a story that you'd have to pay to read when I can't imagine why anyone would. ]]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]