Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: At last, a headline I like
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:16 am 

KUDOs to whoever came up with the headline in the Omaha World-Herald for a Washington Post story about the separation of galaxies:<p>"100 Billion Years From Solitude"<p>Good to know there's another Garcia Marquez reader out there somewhere. But who else got it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: At last, a headline I like
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:56 pm 

Hmm. Is the headline a reference to how long it's projected to take for our universe to "run out of steam," so to speak?<p>Gatekeeper<p>-30-

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:24 pm 

No, it's a reference to how far apart the galaxies are. They're very lonely galaxies, ergo the solitude remark.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:32 pm 

Wouldn't it read better, then (as well as closer to the Marquez title), as "One Hundred Billion Years of Solitude"? (I also assumed it was an expansion of cosmos thing.)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:48 am 

Yes, Inner Baltimore, that would have been a better headline, but we're grateful for what we get here in the Midwest. <p>Please tell me my favorite restaurant, Bandaloop's, is still alive and well in Federal Hill?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:53 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JPSheehan:
Wouldn't it read better, then (as well as closer to the Marquez title), as "One Hundred Billion Years [b]of Solitude"? (I also assumed it was an expansion of cosmos thing.)[/b]<hr></blockquote><p>I think that would depend on what the original hed meant. I am confusd by it. Last I checked, the universe was only 16 billion years old, so the galaxies could not have endured 100 billion years of solitude. Did the hed mean the galaxies are 100 billion light-years apart? But if the universe is 16 billion years old, how can any two objects be more than 32 billion light-years apart?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:29 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
But if the universe is 16 billion years old, how can any two objects be more than 32 billion light-years apart?<hr></blockquote><p>I was taking it to mean that due to the apparently unending expansion of the universe, we're in for 100 billion years (and more) of solitude . 100 billion is a figure of appropriate poetic license and conveniently enormous scale, I guess. <p>And to majorbabs, yes, I think Bandaloops is still around, but I've only been there once, about 100 billion years ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:22 pm 

Blanp, I applaud your restraint.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]