Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bad gas
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:05 am 

The lede on our gas prices story in today's paper:<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr> Getting gas is more painful than ever. <hr></blockquote><p>Also, our editor, the supreme being of the newsroom, came up with this headline (which I did not run): <p>Oh, lucky us (not!)
$2 per gallon gas is here<p>I couldn't believe the main hed when I saw it. Normally, he's a pretty sensible man, but ... wow. <p>There was no way I was going to let that on my page.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bad gas
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:38 pm 

Yeah, really. That whole "(not)" thing is so passe. I much prefer:<p>D'oh!
$2 per gallon gas is here<p>Jinkies!
$2 per gallon gas is here<p>Holy Hum-vee!
$2 per gallon gas is here<p>Remember the Embargo?
$2 per gallon gas is here

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:12 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Biggdbo:

[b]Oh, lucky us (not!)

$2 per gallon gas is here[/b]<hr></blockquote> Tell him that out here in sunny SoCal, we'd kill for $2 per gallon gas. There's a station in Malibu where the price has risen to $4.07 for full service, $3.57 for self-serve.<p>Didn't "(not!)" go out with the last century?<p>D.<p>[ May 14, 2004: Message edited by: DominEditrix ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:41 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DominEditrix:
Tell him that out here in sunny SoCal, we'd kill for $2 per gallon gas. There's a station in Malibu where the price has risen to $4.07 for full service, $3.57 for self-serve.<p>Didn't "(not!)" go out with the last century?<p>D.<p>[ May 14, 2004: Message edited by: DominEditrix ]<hr></blockquote>Full service? I thought *that* went out with the last century.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:54 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
Full service? I thought *that* went out with the last century.<hr></blockquote>Not where the **Stars** are - you wouldn't expect A Celebrity to pump his/her/its own gas, now wouldya?<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:24 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DominEditrix:
Not where the **Stars** are - you wouldn't expect A Celebrity to pump his/her/its own gas, now wouldya?<p>D.<hr></blockquote>Heh. I wouldn't expect A Celebrity to do his own driving. I guess the Humvees changed all that, though. (grin)

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:37 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
Full service? I thought *that* went out with the last century.<hr></blockquote><p>Not in New Jersey and Oregon, where I believe it's the law.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:00 am 

I was in Carmel (where Clint Eastwood was mayor) a few years back buying gas when a 40-something woman at the next pump says to me, "could you help me with this?" <p>After I helped her get the gas in her car she said, "thanks, this is the first time I've ever done this."<p>Made me wonder what fortune she inherited.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:03 pm 

Full service? I thought *that* went out with the last century.<hr></blockquote><p>I'll go out of my way to fuel up in New Jersey, where last week it was about $1.85, plus it was pumped for me...life's little luxuries. <p>I'm told that legislators will not touch the full-service rule with a 10-foot pole because it it keeps thousands of pump jockeys employed, and because then the legislators would have to pump their own...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]