Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: But how many football fields could they fill?
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:07 pm 

Friends Finale Watched By 52.5 Million<p>By Lisa de Moraes
Washington Post Staff Writer<p>About 52.5 million people watched an action-packed "Friends" final episode Thursday night in which star-crossed couple Ross and Rachel got back together -- wow, totally didn't see that one coming.

While that's about 1.5 million more people than voted for Al Gore in the last presidential election, and about 2 million more than voted for George W. Bush, it's a far cry from the 105 million people who tuned in to the very last episode of "M*A*S*H*" way back in 1983.<p>
***I'm the last one to complain about "liberal bias." But the Post does not exactly help its image by publishing something like this. Even if it made me laugh.***

Post subject: Re: But how many football fields could they fill?
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:31 pm 

It gets better. Later on the story adds:<p> If you voted for Ralph Nader in the last presidential election, in which case you're probably the kind of contrary person who would not have watched Thursday's "Friends" finale, you missed adoptive parents Monica and Chandler being surprised when their unwed pregnant mother instead delivered twins. <p>
*Politics aside, the structure of the graf inplies that not a single Nader voter watched the show, quite a sweeping proclamation about nearly 3 million people. I hope the writer called and each and every one of them to make sure it is a true statement.*

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:49 pm 

Pah to your fretting over liberal bias, I say! If Nielsen estimates are as accurate as voting machine tabulations (and they may well be), one can readily deduce from these figures that more people watched that 1983 episode of "MASH" (God, I hate those asterisks) than voted in the 2000 presidential election. The writer means to evoke a kinder, gentler age, when Democrats and Republicans alike could stay at home, eyes glued to the boob-tube, shunning the polls as one people.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:14 pm 

Does it count if Friends was on at the bar where you was drinking AND you voted for Gore but don't like the new black-and-white M&M's (as long as we're discussing demographics...)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]