Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jacko's get-up
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:56 pm 

Wearing a black velvet suit and a red armband, he walked into the courthouse beneath a large black parasol held by aides to shield him from the sun.
(NYT)<p>*From past threads, I gather that most TCE'rs do not think a description of courtroom attire belongs in news stories. Does anybody object to it in this case? BTW, is that red armband supposed to symbolize something?*<p>[ April 30, 2004: Message edited by: ADKbrown ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jacko's get-up
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:02 pm 

Objection. It's irrelevant. Anyhow, there are plenty of pictures that show Jackson entering the courthouse, which presumably will be overplayed when run with the story. (If the red armband does signify something, at least find out what it signifies.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:22 pm 

The "get-up" wasn't even particularly outlandish.<p>Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:28 pm 

That guy is a walking freak show. He scares me. Best line I've heard about him from a comedian whose name I can't recall:<p>"Michael Jackson started out life as a black man and will end it as a white woman. What's up with that?"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:29 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:The "get-up" wasn't even particularly outlandish.<hr></blockquote><p>My eyes! He could have at least coordinated his reds! He has a lot of surgery and help from Carson Kressley to go before he'll ever be a diva. (Apologies to Beverly Sills.)<p>His muted "get-up" is on the advice of his new lawyer [publicity machine]. Or so the talking heads say (YES I know about watching TV -- tell it to my friggin' city desk!).<p>I am forced by higher-ups to include Jackson's indictments today in a briefs package (they can tell me to run it; they can't tell me WHERE to run it). <p>Regrettably, I will be unable to run a color photo with the story. This will force me to cut much of the text that describes his wardrobe, despite the disservice to our readers.<p>[ April 30, 2004: Message edited by: grouch_in_training ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:01 pm 

Given Jackson's flamboyant weirdness, this is the rare story where I might let the fashion report get into the paper. <p>But the story's a brief at best, so the red armband probably won't make it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:21 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Walter:
Given Jackson's flamboyant weirdness, this is the rare story where I might let the fashion report get into the paper. <p><hr></blockquote><p>Maybe if he wore a clown suit or a Nazi uniform, but there was nothing particularly weird or flamboyant about his attire today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:44 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
[b]The "get-up" wasn't even particularly outlandish.<p>Image[/b]<hr></blockquote><p>Well, it is a velvet suit, which doesn't come across in the photo. It looks like he's wearing some kind of medal, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:05 pm 

I'm guessing the gold "medal" is actually an exceptionally florid and oversized embroidered crest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:18 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
Well, it is a velvet suit, which doesn't come across in the photo. It looks like he's wearing some kind of medal, too.<hr></blockquote>The gold stripes down the side of the trousers add that certain trendy je ne sais quoi....<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:51 pm 

As far as I'm concerned, a "fashion report" is appropriate whenever the newsmaker is wearing something unusual for the circumstances.<p>For example, if a man appears on the floor of Congress without a necktie, that's worth noting. If you're pointing out that his necktie is striped or paisley, that's not. And it's sexist to pay more attention to how women are dressed than men.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 4:01 pm 

Remember, innocent until proven guilty.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]