Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Caption question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:57 pm 

Why do the photos in sports stories often have little to do with the name in the headline? For example, the headline reads, "Jones socks one over the wall," which would lead you to believe the large photo with the story would be of Jones, but no, the photo is of Smith, who is mentioned in the 12th graf, because he was sold to another team.<p>I see this all the time and it makes me crazy. Is this a miscommunication between layout and copy or what? Or should I just take my Valium and turn to Annie's Mailbox? Thanks. I'll calm down now.<p>[ April 30, 2004: Message edited by: majorbabs ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Caption question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:40 pm 

That's going to be hard to avoid. Maybe the best action photo is of somebody who isn't going to be in the lede. It's worth considering when you're writing the hed, though.<p>Where I do draw the line, or at least try to, is when a photo of somebody in the justice system is the only photo alongside a headline that is obviously going to talk about a bad guy. Better to go without "art," I think, than imply that the district attorney is a child molester or whatever.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:39 pm 

In regard to the sports matter it's a thing that comes up all the time. Sometimes the best solution is to write an extended caption about what the player in question did or how they have been going this season.<p>[ April 29, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:58 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by majorbabs:
Is this a miscommunication between layout and copy or what? <hr></blockquote><p>I believe photographers often stay for only parts of a game, especially at night. I'd bet they simply shoot what they can, having no idea who will end up being a major factor in the game and thus in the story.<p>[ April 29, 2004: Message edited by: Todd J. Behme ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:40 pm 

Correct. And in sports such as rugby league the sight line to key action can be blocked by defence players.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]