Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
 Post subject: Doylestown/Budd Dwyer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:49 am 

Hey, Slummingreporter:<p>Do you work in Doylestown? Decades back I worked for the Calkins chain, which owns the paper there.<p>The thing that chain always will be remembered for, in addition to lousy wages: that the Harrisburg reporter (according to legend) overslept and missed the R. Budd Dwyer news conference, which only wound up being perhaps the most memorable news conference ever.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Doylestown/Budd Dwyer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:34 pm 

I am trying to remember the guy's name...Don Wolf, or something like that. <p>Dwyer's brains were all over the podium, and our reporter was home asleep. Great.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:26 pm 

Hey, Slumming ...
If you were at the Intel in '99, we probably overlapped. Now I'm going crazy trying to figure out your secret identity. Good luck on getting back in ... it's not a bad place to work, all in all. Of course, I left there for another paper in the chain, and my experience there was entirely different.<p>Bumf: The Dwyer thing preceded my time at the paper as well, so I can't shed any light on that situation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:39 pm 

So THAT'S what it was.<p>I was in sixth grade in New Jersey when this happened, and I remember some other kids talking about a guy killing himself on TV, but I figured they were joking about it. Until today, I never heard of Budd Dwyer and never realized this had happened (did a Google search after reading Bumf's last post, which certainly elevated my eyebrows).<p>I wonder how I managed to avoided learning about this case for 17 years.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:45 pm 

Anybody remember any Budd Dwyer jokes?<p>[ April 29, 2004: Message edited by: ADKbrown ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:19 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
Anybody remember any Budd Dwyer jokes?<p>[ April 29, 2004: Message edited by: ADKbrown ]<hr></blockquote><p>How 'bout a Budd Dwyer song instead?<p>"In 1995, the rock band Filter had a hit with the song 'Hey Man, Nice Shot', which, although not explicitly mentioning Dwyer, was 'inspired' by Dwyer's suicide according to members of the band." (Link)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:32 pm 

Well, I consider it the most fitting end possible for a crooked politician. Way to go, Budd!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:57 pm 

Of course, the suicide clip is on the Web. I should have known.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:17 pm 

I am not going to look. I saw a still shot of Dwyer with the gun in his mouth, and that was enough to turn my stomach.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:12 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tom:
<p>How 'bout a Budd Dwyer song instead?<p>"In 1995, the rock band Filter had a hit with the song 'Hey Man, Nice Shot', which, although not explicitly mentioning Dwyer, was 'inspired' by Dwyer's suicide according to members of the band." (Link)<hr></blockquote><p>I thought the Filter song was referring to the suicide of Kurt Cobain.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:44 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lucy:
<p>I thought the Filter song was referring to the suicide of Kurt Cobain.<hr></blockquote><p>From Rolling Stone:<p>"'You gotta see it from the beginning,' Richard Patrick says calmly before he presses play on the VCR remote control. 'The speech before it is the scary part. That's really the horrifying part because you know this motherf---er's gonna kill himself.' And then we watch as indicted Pennsylvania treasurer R. Budd Dwyer reiterates his innocence to a press conference gathering, reaches into a manila envelope, pulls out a handgun, sticks it in his mouth and pulls the trigger. <p>"'That's his last breath, right there,' the Filter frontman says as blood pours from Dwyer's nostrils, his body goes limp and women scream in horror. 'It shakes me up still.' This gruesome suicide, captured live on TV in several U.S. markets twelve years ago, including Patrick's Cleveland hometown, inspired Filter's single 'Hey Man Nice Shot,' from their last album, Short Bus. But to this day some believe it was about Kurt Cobain."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:29 am 

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tom:
[QB]<p>From Rolling Stone:<p>"'You gotta see it from the beginning,' Richard Patrick says calmly before he presses play on the VCR remote control. <p>Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:13 am 

For what it's worth, here are the lyrics:<p>I wish I would've met you
now it's a little late.
what you could've taught me
I could've saved some face
they think that your early ending
was all wrong
for the most part they're right
but look how they all got strong
that's why I say hey man, nice shot
what a good shot man.
a man
has gun
hey man
have fun
nice shot
now that the smoke's gone
and the air is all clear
those who were right there
got a new kind of fear
you'd fight and you were right
but they were just to strong
they'd stick it in your face
and let you smell what they consider wrong.
that's why I say hey man nice, nice shot
what a good shot man.
a man
has gun
hey man
have fun
nice shot,
I wish I would've met you
I wish I would've met you
I'd say
nice shot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:26 am 

I've seen the clip.<p>What Dwyer did was horrible, but it was his own choice. The part that really got to me was hearing the fear in the reporters' voices as they pleaded with him not to do it.<p>To watch the clip and know what's coming is disturbing enough. To actually be there ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 4:06 pm 

I worked as a part-timer at the Intell for a few years and the pay was considerably higher, at $17 per hour. So I don't know what you're talking about. Of course, I'm making less now, but at least I have health, dental, vision and my talents are appreciated more.
Anyone know if Ms. Marty and DanG. are still there?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:43 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by carola:
I worked as a part-timer at the Intell for a few years and the pay was considerably higher, at $17 per hour. So I don't know what you're talking about. Of course, I'm making less now, but at least I have health, dental, vision and my talents are appreciated more.
Anyone know if Ms. Marty and DanG. are still there?
<hr></blockquote><p>** They're still there. ("Ms. Marty" ... ROTFL). I haven't worked there for about 3 years, but I still hear from both of them from time to time. Joan retired a few months ago, though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:48 pm 

I worked there at the Intell as a (summer job) copyeditor in 1968, while the legendary Lester Trauch was still there--what a character. One of our (few) reporters was the later-to-become-legendary Foster Wynans, who went onto to become the Wall Street Journal reporter who was busted for the stock tips thing. Ah, my misspent youth! Can't remember the payscale, but it was horrendous even then. $2.50/hour? Something like that. But what the hell--beers at the Doylestown Hotel were still about 50 cents.<p>What a small world--did ALL you people also work there?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:33 am 

I worked "for" Calkins as a freelancer for a while, doing everything from sewer commission meetings to major league baseball.<p>My actual time spent as a full-time Calkinsite was at the Burlington County Herald (rural South Jersey), which I became editor of within a couple years. I escaped in 1980, and it folded about three months later.<p>The publisher had a suite above the BC Times office, and would sometimes come padding down to the newsroom in his robe and slippers to "encourage" us. Always a welcome sight, the boss of a cheap-ass place.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:46 pm 

I spoke with Brad Wilson last night. Slumming, are you the guy who did handstands in the newsroom?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:02 pm 

I'd be willing to bet he was. Slums has been a notorious handstander for as long as I've known him.<p>I acquired a lot of bus fares by standing next to him at parties and catching the pennies from heaven.<p>[ May 08, 2004: Message edited by: Matthew Grieco ]</p>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]