Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Getting in the game
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:36 pm 

I've checked to see if any old threads address my question, and none seems to. So, I'm writing to ask whether anyone has any advice regarding how I can become a full-time copy editor within the next 18 months (and preferably within the next 12).<p>My strengths: experience in writing and editing as a judicial clerk following law school; four years' experience teaching writing to law students and undergraduates; extensive usage, grammar, and spelling knowledge that I can demonstrate if given a test or tryout; passion for concise, precise, and coherent writing; "lifestyle flexibility" that dovetails well with copy editing hours; and a fast and independent worker.<p>My weaknesses: no editing or reporting experience, no j-school degree, can't afford time or money needed for j-school degree, can do only part-time internships, restricted to Providence, RI, area due to spouse's job.<p>If there's a thread that covers my question, or postings on other Web sites, no need to reinvent the wheel here. Just please point me in the right direction.<p>Thanks,
Thom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Getting in the game
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:43 pm 

Go to the editor of your local paper and volunteer to work game nights on the sports desk. Best introduction to the biz I can imagine; they always need bodies and aren't too picky about where they find 'em. If the editor says no, call back in a couple weeks with a new pitch. If you keep at it long enough they might give you a shot just to get you to shut up. <p>A few shifts at zero pay should give you a good idea of whether you'd do it for money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:49 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>If you keep at it long enough they might give you a shot just to get you to shut up. <p>.[/QB]<hr></blockquote><p>That's certainly been my experience. Bosses have said let's have a look at this person, they've got commendable persistence.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:14 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
they always need bodies and aren't too picky about where they find 'em.<hr></blockquote><p>What?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:22 pm 

Your background sounds wonderful, and the advice to call up local papers and badger them is very good. Beware, however, that there's one more qualification needed: Software experience, particularly with Quark. <p>Small papers - the ones most likely to give a no-background person a try - rarely have pure copy editors any more. Thanks to pagination, they have desk people who edit but also do layout and color separations and other work once done by the production staff in the backroom. E.B. White would have a hard time breaking into the business today if he was Quark-phobic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:55 pm 

Thanks very much to those who have offered advice. <p>Two follow-up questions:<p>(1) Besides Quark, what other software should I know as I start badgering local papers?<p>(2) Any manuals for learning software that are particularly recommended?<p>[QUOTE]Originally posted by D. Brooks:<p>[QB]Your background sounds wonderful, and the advice to call up local papers and badger them is very good. Beware, however, that there's one more qualification needed: Software experience, particularly with Quark.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:32 pm 

Don't exclude calling on the editors at weekly entertainment or community newspapers. Also, some large non-profits in your city may use quark and need volunteers to help produce newsletters or such. Offering your time to work on their product might get you the familiarity with Quark, which is a valuable skill when you start calling on the newspapers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]