Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Red Alert
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:05 pm 

It is not news that Baskin-Robbins gave away free ice cream today. It is a business promotion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Red Alert
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:07 pm 

It would have been news yesterday, allowing me to adjust my schedule to get some free ice cream.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:45 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
It is not news that Baskin-Robbins gave away free ice cream today. It is a business promotion.<hr></blockquote><p>Well, to be fair, it was a charity promotion; the business was accepting "donations" for some good cause or another. So do the right thing, give it a brief, and let the nonprofit get some money out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:45 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Kirchherr:
<p>Well, to be fair, it was a charity promotion; the business was accepting "donations" for some good cause or another. So do the right thing, give it a brief, and let the nonprofit get some money out of it.<hr></blockquote><p>Fine. I was concerned about big pictures and feature stories.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:00 am 

I enjoyed my freebie. Missed Ben & Jerry's free scoop the other day though. Didn't read a thing about it in any newspaper... were there actually feature stories written about this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:20 am 

How about a standalone for weather art, with info in the cutline about the charity deal?<p>The photog had better come back with a shot of a 3-year-old's ice cream-smeared face, though.<p>("Ice-cream-smeared"? I hate compound modifiers. Walsh?)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:15 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
How about a standalone for weather art, with info in the cutline about the charity deal?<p><hr></blockquote><p>No.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:45 pm 

Yes, ice-cream-smeared, if that modifier must be used. It's the Nancy Reagan rule (her "anti-child ... abuse center").

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:40 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
[QB]How about a standalone for weather art, with info in the cutline about the charity deal?<p>/QB]<hr></blockquote><p>Repeat: NO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:45 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
<p>Repeat: NO.<hr></blockquote><p>This thread reminds me of a floor editor in Albany who owned an ice cream shop and who used to mutter to himself whenever we ran a photo of the Ben & Jerry's promotion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:47 pm 
<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
<p>This thread reminds me of a floor editor ....<hr></blockquote><p>He was not an editor. He was a sweet guy, but he was a converted printer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:56 pm 

Sweet guy?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:43 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
It is not news that Baskin-Robbins gave away free ice cream today. It is a business promotion.<hr></blockquote>
Sounds a good story for the marketing columns though. Ps: 73 degrees [in NY today] sounds like woollen jersey weather rather than ice-cream weather.<p>[ April 29, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:54 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:

Sounds a good story for the marketing columns though. Ps: 73 degrees [in NY today] sounds like woollen jersey weather rather than ice-cream weather.<p>[ April 29, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]
<hr></blockquote><p>You've got an amusing conception of cold. Most of the people I saw on the streets today were in shorts and sunglasses.<p>It was a beautiful day for a bank robbery. I had an ice cream cone myself as I watched the NYPD cordon off a block of Fifth Avenue to defuse an explosive ink cartridge in a gigantic bag of cash. I unfortunately came upon the scene too late to actually see the apprehension of the robber.<p>I was not previously aware of this, but apparently the exploding ink cartridges can be harmful. They had a guy in a moonsuit taking the thing apart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:09 am 

No.<hr></blockquote>
<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bumfketeer:
Repeat: NO.<hr></blockquote>
I gotta get out of this small-town-news mindset.<p>(Bill: thanx.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]