Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: I think that I shall never see
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:36 pm 

Roger Buddenberg of the Omaha World-Herald says:<p>"Heads are like poetry. Hell, they are poetry." (From a handout the World-Herald uses to train copy editors)<p>***No, they aren't. No, they aren't.***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I think that I shall never see
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:40 pm 

The editor should always try to consult the writer about significant changes and should try to make changes in the writer's voice and style. <p>That's directly from the handout; shouldn't it be that the editor SHOULDN'T try to make changes in the writer's voice and style? Or am I off completely?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:23 pm 

<div align="center">
Heds not poetry
***Jumphed contest doesn't count.***
Laughter heard from slot
</div>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:22 pm 

Poetry: writing that formulates a concentrated imaginative awareness of experience in language chosen and arranged to create a specific emotional response through meaning, sound, and rhythm.<p>
Not sure I agree with you this time, blanp. Maybe you could take issues with the "emotional" part, but I think that would be a stretch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:43 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nicole Stockdale:
Poetry: writing that formulates a concentrated imaginative awareness of experience in language chosen and arranged to create a specific emotional response through meaning, sound, and rhythm.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I see nothing in that definition that applies to a headline. We should not be trying to create a "specific response," "emotional" or otherwise. We should just try to get across what the story is about.
Wait. Haven't I said that before?<p>[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:11 pm 

i assure you, there'll be yet another "Headlines as Poetry" workshop at the ACES conference next year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:21 pm 

And here I was wondering why my ACES entry didn't win. <p>"25p6-36-5casb"
Showdown in Iraq,
Bush against Chirac;
U.N. says no;
Saddam won't go;
U.S. troops attack

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:02 pm 

I think there's a time and a place for "poetry as headlines." Why not have fun with a story about your "Pork, Peanut and Pine festival" going for the Guiness World Record for biggest peanut butter sculpture?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:45 pm 

If a person wants poetry, they should pick up a volume of Keats. Heds should always be function over form, though the two aren't mutually exclusive, and poetry implies a creative expression of an idea that would perhaps be more appropriate in an editorial rather than a concise, one-line summary.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:44 pm 

It seems a better way of looking at headlines is not to say, "Heads are like poetry" but to say, "Heads are like prose," by which I mean ordinary speech or writing; that would help weed out a lot of the shitty "cutesy" crap that often confuses The Reader (and the slot) but always seems to make contest judges happy; or even the jargon laden, headlinese that creeps in to some heads without giving The Reader any room to breath (and you know the kind of crap I mean).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]