Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stoopid Psychiatry
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:35 pm 

The world of "Friends," which leaves NBC in May, is enviable. Sure, the show has a surreal ratio of beautiful-to-average people, and the New York digs are incredible (and unaffordable). But what probably draws many viewers is, well, the friends. How many people have such true blues, such a great support system, in real life?
According to a husband-and-wife team of authors, Bob Murray and Alicia Fortinberry, that's precisely what we all need.
In their new book, "Creating Optimism: A Proven, Seven-Step Program for Overcoming Depression" (McGraw-Hill, $22.95), the two say a strong social network--a tribe, as they call it--can save us from depression.
(Chicago Tribune)<p>***"Friends" is a television situation comedy and as such cannot be used as a model for "real life." To suggest otherwise is stupid and irresponsible.***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Stoopid Psychiatry
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:29 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
***"Friends" is a television situation comedy and as such cannot be used as a model for "real life." To suggest otherwise is stupid and irresponsible.***<hr></blockquote><p>OK. How about my fraternity chapter?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:42 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
***"Friends" is a television situation comedy and as such cannot be used as a model for "real life." To suggest otherwise is stupid and irresponsible.***<hr></blockquote><p>At the very moment you were typing this, I was in my Property class, in which my professor was using the cast of "Friends" as an example of how people should stick together. She was analogizing them to homeowners fighting the operation of a cement plant in Albany.<p>On my exam, I will cite blanp for the proposition that something is stupid and irresponsible. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:35 pm 

Not to mention, that if those people were my "friends" I think I'd shoot myself. Even in a sea of insufferable TV, that show sets new standards. <p>
The world of "Friends," which leaves NBC in May, is enviable. Sure, the show has a surreal ratio of beautiful-to-average people, and the New York digs are incredible (and unaffordable). But what probably draws many viewers is, well, the friends. How many people have such true blues, such a great support system, in real life?
According to a husband-and-wife team of authors, Bob Murray and Alicia Fortinberry, that's precisely what we all need.
In their new book, "Creating Optimism: A Proven, Seven-Step Program for Overcoming Depression" (McGraw-Hill, $22.95), the two say a strong social network--a tribe, as they call it--can save us from depression.
(Chicago Tribune)<p>***"Friends" is a television situation comedy and as such cannot be used as a model for "real life." To suggest otherwise is stupid and irresponsible.***
<hr></blockquote>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:00 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr> In their new book, "Creating Optimism: A Proven, Seven-Step Program for Overcoming Depression" (McGraw-Hill, $22.95), the two say a strong social network--a tribe, as they call it--can save us from depression. <hr></blockquote><p>Like, duh. Yeah, the problem is that people suffering from depression often have no hope of a "tribe," are not interested in a "tribe," have not sufficient energy and social skills at their disposal to cultivate a "tribe," have to pay a therapist to help them construct a false "tribe," and that it is often the very people within the damn "tribe" who trigger feelings of inadequacy and withdrawal. Oops, am I revealing too much here?<p>Quacks. Snake oil salesmen. Opportunistic charlatans. Of course, I haven't read the book. Wait, was that only $22.95? I have a $20 Barnes & Noble gift card!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]