Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stoopid Science
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:26 pm 

"Einstein proposed in 1916 that space and time form a fabric that can be curved by the presence of the Earth and other large celestial bodies. The curving warps the fabric like the depression a gymnast creates by standing on a trampoline." (AP)<p>***An anonymous wag writes: "It is nothing like the depression a certified public accountant makes when standing on a trampoline."***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Stoopid Science
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:05 pm 

I cut the gymnast/trampoline line because I thought it just confused things.<p>I do find it stoopid that NASA spent $700-plus million on a satellite to test Einstein's theory, and they are confident the outcome will be that Einstein's right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:22 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jackie:
I cut the gymnast/trampoline line because I thought it just confused things.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You might also consider that all "celestial bodies" curve spacetime, and that Earth is not a particularly large (or small) such body.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:33 pm 

I wish Lauren Neergard (I hope I didn't misspell her name) had written the story.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:06 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jackie:
I wish Lauren Neergard (I hope I didn't misspell her name) had written the story.<hr></blockquote><p>Nine months removed from my last shift on the wires, I am 99% certain that it's spelled "Lauran Neergaard."<p>How I miss the gal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:24 am 

I do find it stoopid that NASA spent $700-plus million on a satellite to test Einstein's theory, and they are confident the outcome will be that Einstein's right.<hr></blockquote><p>Ah, but what if he ISN"T right? A century ago, everybody was confident that Newton didn't need to be adjusted, either - the fact that people checked bascially led to the modern world (for better and for worse). <p>This is an excellent use of tax dollars, I'd say, even if it finds nothing we didn't already know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:48 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by D. Brooks:
Ah, but what if he ISN"T right?<hr></blockquote>Either way, what do we do?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:09 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
Either way, what do we do?<hr></blockquote><p>Sit back and wait to be surprised (at least, if Einstein's not right) - just as we've been surprised, both pleasantly and unpleasantly, by everything that's come out of relativity and quantum mechanics, the "adjustments" to Newton that started a century ago.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:42 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
Nine months removed from my last shift on the wires, I am 99% certain that it's spelled "Lauran Neergaard."<p>How I miss the gal.<hr></blockquote><p>Yep, you're right. I too am one of her fans.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:53 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by D. Brooks:
Sit back and wait to be surprised (at least, if Einstein's not right) - just as we've been surprised, both pleasantly and unpleasantly, by everything that's come out of relativity and quantum mechanics, the "adjustments" to Newton that started a century ago.<hr></blockquote>Ah, now I get it. There could be a "curved time-space fabric" superweapon in our future.<p>And here I was thinking this story was of no interest to most people.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]