Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do I have to say "Her Royal Highness"?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:35 pm 

First, let me say that this site is terrific. I've been "lurking" for several months and find this forum not only very entertaining but often helpful with my job as a writer/editor. I work in the employee communications department of a large retailer (30,000+ employees) and am responsible for writing/editing various newsletters, including a daily electronic newsletter that goes out to all of our corporate office employees.<p>Here's my dilemma. When referring to Britain's Princess Michael of Kent, do I have to call her "Her Royal Highness Princess Michael of Kent" on first reference? I would prefer not to use Her Royal Highness if I can get away with it, as I find the phrase cumbersome and, after all, she's not the United States' royal highness.<p> Can anyone point me to a source that says it's OK to use just Princess Michael of Kent? A fair number of people from the UK work at our coporate office and if anyone says I got it wrong, I would like to have something to refer them to. (Believe me, if I get it wrong, people will let me know!) The AP stylebook doesn't say anything about using "Her Royal Highness."

Post subject: Re: Do I have to say "Her Royal Highness"?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:45 pm 

AP, under "nobility," says just "Princess" is fine. But the best reason not to use the long title is that it's unnecessary and ridiculous. No law says in-house corporate communications can't set their own style.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:45 pm 

Andrea, I'm not an editor, but I believe that you can safely take the advice of the style manual of The New York Times: "His Majesty and similiar designations should be used only in direct quotations and texts or for special effect" (page 160).<p>As someone who has cooled on the British monarchy, I'm glad to draw your attention to this guideline. Nonetheless, if you happen to see Her Majesty the Queen, please give her my best regards. :)<p>[ April 20, 2004: Message edited by: Steve O'Brien ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:51 pm 

Thanks blanp. I do have an in-house style guide, and I've just added this issue to it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:29 pm 

I've found when working on in-house stuff over the years that ecletic depatures from newspaper wisdom don't do any harm. If it gives your British colleagues the warm fuzzies to saye Her Royal Highness and doesn't outrage those stateside, why not do it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:13 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andrea S:
Can anyone point me to a source that says it's OK to use just Princess Michael of Kent? A fair number of people from the UK work at our coporate office and if anyone says I got it wrong, I would like to have something to refer them to. (Believe me, if I get it wrong, people will let me know!) The AP stylebook doesn't say anything about using "Her Royal Highness."<hr></blockquote>You might try "HRH". The Prince's official web site HRH Prince Michael uses it, as does the main royal web site, so the abbreviation shouldn't offend.<p>D.<p>[ April 20, 2004: Message edited by: DominEditrix ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:29 pm 

Andrea - <p>Just talked to my buddy Jim, the career diplomat. He says that you do not have to refer to her in print as "Her Royal Highness", but, should you meet her, you should address her as "Your Highness".<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:17 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
If it gives your British colleagues the warm fuzzies to saye Her Royal Highness and doesn't outrage those stateside, why not do it.<hr></blockquote>Because it makes you look like an arse-kissing toady.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:24 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
Because it makes you look like an arse-kissing toady.<hr></blockquote>
We all know what we are. We are merely negotiating our prices.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]