Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Brand this, pal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:04 am 

Poynter wonders how to retain the Young, the Best, and the Brightest in newsrooms.<p>One of the suggestions:
Focus on the future by branding newspapers as dynamic information companies eager to adapt to a changing marketplace. America's best and brightest are visionaries. Give them a dream to share.<p>How about raising their pay? They can't buy groceries with "branding strategy." <p>Also, stop hiring jerks as managers.<p>Problem solved.<p>~~~<p>[ May 15, 2004: Message edited by: SeaRaven ]</p>

Post subject: Re: Brand this, pal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:24 am 

Thank goodness they're not saying that newspapers should actually become dynamic information companies.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:20 pm 

"Communicate what you value. Nobody hears what you don't say."<p>********
There's some genuine frontier gibberish for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:43 pm 

Dear Poynter "Institute":<p>If you really want to know what the "best and the brightest" want, try asking them. Don't ask their former managers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:13 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SeaRaven:
Dear Poynter "Institute":<p>If you really want to know what the "best and the brightest" want, try asking them. Don't ask their former managers.<hr></blockquote>
Far too sensible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:57 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SeaRaven:
Dear Poynter "Institute":<p>If you really want to know what the "best and the brightest" want, try asking them. Don't ask their former managers.<hr></blockquote>Wouldn't work. They'd just say something outrageous, like "A salary that's above the poverty level."<p>Damned kids need to get their priorities straight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:16 am 

I want my health insurance to stop going up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:31 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kewpie:
I want my health insurance to stop going up.<hr></blockquote><p>I pay $195 a week for my family's (there's three of us) health insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:02 pm 

As someone who will be hunting for a job in less than a year -- and someone who thinks of herself as fairly bright -- I'd say most newspapers can pull college grads in by our naivete. Most of the bright college kids who want to work in newspaper journalism have energy and a vision of newspapers as the stalwart heroes of democracy. I'd be surprised if it were that difficult to recruit these graduates, even if newsrooms at some papers are less than energetic. <p>However, I do know that numbers in the news-editorial sequence at my journalism school decline yearly. Bring us another Watergate. There's got to be some monumental political scandal awaiting discovery.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:29 pm 

No wonder why slummer's posts are all over this site. His password is in general circulation, and one of the ringers has taken to touting Geneva Overholser. Poor schmuck.<p>[ April 28, 2004: Message edited by: jmcg ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]