Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: "But that's what he said!"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:58 pm 

“We want to help adults achieve the right balance between their daily calorie intake and physical activity, and to help children adopt active, balanced lifestyle habits early on,” said Mike Roberts, president of McDonald’s U.S. business. (AP)<p>***No, you don't. If what Roberts said were true, he would be violating his fiduciary responsibility to McDonald's stockholders.***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "But that's what he said!"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:48 am 

From a corporate press release (3-Mar-04):
A component of this overall simplification, menu and balanced lifestyle strategy is the ongoing phase-out of the Super Size fry and the Super Size drink options (the drink size will only be available as a promotional option).<p>Promotional option, huh? So now it'll be offered as a special REWARD!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:11 pm 

Then his boss found out what is wrong with supersizing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:13 pm 

From the same BBC web article (reporter, wire source not noted):
A former vice chairman and president, his focus on introducing new items such as salads and grilled chicken - in the face of criticism that its traditional products were too high in fats, salt and sugar - saw revenues recover.
Not to forget also against the backdrop of the mad-cow disease scare in the US, which put many consumers off eating beef.
<p>Now there's some writing worthy of a franchise. "He made an indelible mark on McDonald's system," it says later on in the piece. For some reason, I kept reading it as "inedible."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:03 pm 

desks that have control over their comics and who use ziggy might want to pull tomorrow's. It is actually funny but the gallows humor of having ziggy turn down a super-sized fun happy meal because his heart wouldn't take it might be upsetting to some.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:11 pm 

I would be interested in how many papers will run the cartoon without apology. We're not

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:25 am 

It's a typical comics-page panel. It's not funny, but anyone who takes "offense" is not worth paying attention to.<p>Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:28 am 

I'm definitely missing something here. What could be offensive about that cartoon?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:38 am 

Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
I'm definitely missing something here. What could be offensive about that cartoon?<p>Jim Cantalupo, CEO of McDonald's, died of an apparent heart attack days after the chain introduced the Adult Happy Meal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:38 am 

I think it's clear that Jim Cantalupo was offed by a vast conspiracy of McDonald's stockholders (maybe even NPR). One might say he brought it on himself with the cavalier attitude exhibited--believing he could change the McDonald's menu to quality, health-conscious food. Cantalupo had been doing a great job. People loved the new Chicken McNuggets. But then he went to far, and like Julius Caesar, was cut down for being too ambitious. The stockholders of McDonald's were not about to tolerate another fiasco such as the Arch Deluxe. Cantalupo had to go; it was simple. Lettuce instead of buns? Give me a break. People who eat at McDonald's don't want that. They want a hamburger patty sandwiched between two other hamburger patties.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:22 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JPSheehan:
Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
I'm definitely missing something here. What could be offensive about that cartoon?<p>Jim Cantalupo, CEO of McDonald's, died of an apparent heart attack days after the chain introduced the Adult Happy Meal.
<hr></blockquote><p>Ah! I saw the headline of his obit the other day, but I didn't care enough to read the story.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:39 pm 

A number of newspapers run Reuters unedited:<p>By Greg McCune
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Distasteful or not, the sudden death of McDonald's Chief Executive Jim Cantalupo from an apparent heart attack on Monday may turn up the spotlight on criticism of the restaurant's food as fatty and unhealthy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:00 pm 

Re Ziggy:<p>That panel is just stupid, not offensive. I don't understand why people waste time reading the comics pages, but anything that keeps our readership up is a good thing. I guess.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:05 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:

***[b]No, you don't.
If what Roberts said were true, he would be violating his fiduciary responsibility to McDonald's stockholders.***[/b]<hr></blockquote><p>
Not nece-celery:<p>(AP)
... Under [Cantalupo's] leadership, the company worked to revitalize its brand through new products, a focus on health and a return to the basics — better food and faster service — instead of the expansion he'd once championed. <p>The fast-food giant slowed its breakneck expansion pace and has sharply boosted U.S. sales in recent months with help from three new products — entree-sized salads, McGriddles breakfast sandwiches and white-meat chicken nuggets — as well as by keeping more of its domestic restaurants open late at night. Led by the U.S. resurgence, McDonald's revenues for the last quarter of 2003 jumped 17 percent to $4.56 billion. <p>Last week, the company kicked off an anti-obesity campaign by announcing the introduction of Adult Happy Meals, with salad, bottled water and a pedometer, as well as healthier options for children's Happy Meals that it introduced last year overseas. <p>The company also introduced a new global advertising campaign, adopting a slogan — "I'm lovin' it" — meant to appeal to younger and hipper consumers. Customers responded, and so did shareholders — McDonald's stock rose 71 percent during his tenure.

Image<p>
---<p>[ April 27, 2004: Message edited by: SeaRaven ]</p>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:09 pm 

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Distasteful or not, the sudden death of McDonald's Chief Executive Jim Cantalupo...<p>As John Donne might say:<p>Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Sudden and distastefull...<p>[ April 20, 2004: Message edited by: JPSheehan ]</p>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]