Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: up to date or up-to-date
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:02 pm 

Hi, I'm new to the list and anxious to find an answer. I've looked all over and would like to know whether it's correct to hyphenate (or not hyphenate) the following:<p>"...brings you up-to-date on..."
"...brings you up to date on ..."<p>I know that "up-to-date" as an adjective is hyphenated, but I contend that "up to date" in this context is not hyphenated. Which is correct and can you point me to a source?

Post subject: Re: up to date or up-to-date
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:42 pm 

As you say, it's hyphenated as an adjective. When not an adjective, it should not be.<p>So: "Bring our records up to date."<p>But: "Please examine our up-to-date records."<p>As for a source, I would cite the general rule of compound adjectives, which is to hyphenate before a noun, except in such cases where the adjective would become a single word (which obviously doesn't apply here).<p>You aren't using "up to date" in that way, so the only other reason you would hyphenate it would be if the phrase itself appeared hyphenated in your publication's dictionary or stylebook. Assuming it doesn't (and I should hope it doesn't), use no hyphens.

Post subject: Re: up to date or up-to-date
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:30 pm 

That's much along the line of "She works full time" and "She's a full-time worker." Your instincts are correct, bulka02

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]