Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Foodies
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:59 pm 

Friend sent me this. Bloody awful.<p>Seattle Times - Restaurant Review.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Now, this trio has come together and re-envisioned the former Fleming's steakhouse into a big-buck, big-bang bastion of meat.<hr></blockquote><p>I've only rarely had to edit food columns and the like, and I'm wondering if such horrible writing is the norm. If so, how do you deal with it? (Apparently, the Seattle Times chooses not to.)<p>[ April 09, 2004: Message edited by: Oeditpus Rex ]<p>[ April 09, 2004: Message edited by: Oeditpus Rex ]</p>

Post subject: Re: Foodies
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:50 pm 

What the hell is wrong with that? It's about MEAT and BIG BANGS and BIG BUCKS! What the hell did you expect? <p>It's MEAT. Get with the program.<p>If you are sick of stupid, meaningless food stories, try editing some highly meaningful classical music reviews.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:54 pm 

Within minutes, I had a well-mixed cocktail in hand...<p>Bless the friendly, professional servers whose wine suggestions left us in no need of a sommelier...<p>The 1999 Produttori del Barbaresco (the high-end of the glass pours at $16, but why count pennies when you've already hocked the family jewels?) answers the call.<p>Servers mixed up our drink orders.<p>Hmmmmmmm...<p>Fine if not awe-inspiring was the chicken al mattone ($14), a buxom breast cooked under a brick, served over creamy polenta and sauced with a "Sicilian tomato relish."<p>..."buxom" (chicken) breast? Oy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:02 pm 

My mouth is watering. Maybe that's the point. And I loved the sentence that began with "Captains courageous.."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:16 pm 

Want more about MEAT? <p>Possibly the funniest site on the Web:<p>http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:42 pm 

Fun site. I love old things and I love reading--and eating. Thanks for sharing it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:59 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
If you are sick of stupid, meaningless food stories, try editing some highly meaningful classical music reviews.<hr></blockquote><p>I see your classical music reviews with a wine column. Personally, I think that's a see and a raise.<p>(Shoot, ***me*** beat me to it.)<p>[ April 10, 2004: Message edited by: Jackie ]</p>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]