Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: "share of mind"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:48 pm 

Is "share of mind" indeed becoming a common expression, as the author of an article I am editing assures me it is? I don't believe I've heard or read it before. The sentence in which it appears reads: "He hopes the mutual support effort will generate more 'share of mind' among ROTC commanders, so they will recommend the Guard to more graduates." I'd be grateful for any comments.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "share of mind"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:53 pm 

"It's yet another shot across the bow of the industry, sending a signal that Google will compete across a broad range of applications traditionally offered by portals," said Dan Hess, senior vice president of comScore Networks.
"E-mail is a critical and time-intensive application, capturing significant share of mind among consumers -- thus Gmail stands to offer greater value to companies that invest marketing dollars with Google."
(Agence France-Presse)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:22 pm 

Marketing-speak. Kin to "brand recognition." Sounds like your author is co-opting idiom that should really be left to marketing managers. But maybe that's the nature of today's armed forces.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:01 pm 

I've never heard it, but it sounds terrible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:43 pm 

From 1997: <p>Anheuser-Busch, the maker of Budweiser and the dominant company in the market for suds, is waging a campaign it calls its "100% Share of Mind" program, which gives its distributors incentives to carry only the company's products. (Washington Post) <p> From 1989: <p>Just a few months ago a newspaper consultant told the publishers that their newspapers are "severely threatened for share of mind, share of market, share of future. (Washington Post)<p>From 1982:<p> "We hope to gain 'share of mind' " with the ads, said CIA Deputy Chief Recruiter Henry Walton. That means the agency is hoping that even happily employed workers will consider the CIA if they are job hunting in the future. (Washington Post)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:58 pm 

I would never use that in a story intended for a general audience. Add me to the list of people who'd never heard that expression before. Even if used in a quote, I'd put in an explaining sentence. I couldn't figure it out from context.<p>I would "assure" the author you're talking to that any expression unfamiliar to a professional copy editor is likely to be unfamiliar to a large number of readers as well. It's enough that you didn't get it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]