Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: who or whom?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:08 am 

From Maureen Dowd's column <p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr> Our troops in Iraq don't know who they're fighting and who they're saving. They don't know when they're coming home or when they're being forcibly re-upped by Rummy. Our diplomats in Baghdad don't know who they're handing the country over to next month. And Bush officials don't know where to go for help, since the military's tapped out, the allies have cold feet, the Arab world's angry and the rest of the globe is thinking, "You got what you deserved." <hr></blockquote><p>Shouldn't these who's be whoms?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: who or whom?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:25 am 

Yeah, if you want to get grammatical.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:35 am 

Can we assume the Times is telling us the whom distinction is officially dead? I mean, obviously somebody on the copy desk would've said, "you know, maureen, proper grammar is 'whom,' and she must've said, 'would you be a dear and grant me an exception on this? It just looks better as 'who.' <p>Mr. Walsh: Is this a rule that's not a rule anymore?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:12 am 

It's just a stylistic thing. She's affecting a loose, conversational style in which "whom" would sound forced. No big deal, considering the crap that finds it way into a lot of columns.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:53 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JPSheehan:
... affecting a loose, conversational style in which "whom" would sound forced. <hr></blockquote><p>
Is there ever a time when whom doesn't sound forced?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:28 pm 

Originally posted by tom mangan:
Is there ever a time when whom doesn't sound forced?<p>No, and that's part of the reason for its appeal. "Whom," I'm thinking, is one of those syntactical signifiers that reinforces, through its overt formality, a sense of deliberate objectivity. To some degree, dogged adherence to seemingly outdated forms is a necessary and unavoidable function of style.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:32 pm 

I just read my last post again, and now it seems kinda pedantic and obvious. Can you tell I work a college communications office?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:33 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
<p>
<hr></blockquote><p>I suppose it depends on whom you ask.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:16 pm 

Try this: "To Who It May Concern"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:26 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
<p>
<hr></blockquote><p>I'd say it sounds natural after any preposition. "The person to who the package was shipped" and "the person of who I was speaking" both sound pretty odd.<p>[ April 08, 2004: Message edited by: tafkats ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:14 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JPSheehan:
I just read my last post again, and now it seems kinda pedantic and obvious. Can you tell I work a college communications office?<hr></blockquote><p>Only if you write "curriculum vitae" instead of "resume."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]