Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Someone please help me!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:52 pm 

Hi there everyone -
I've been reading this board for a little while now, but haven't posted much. Anyway, I was looking for a little advice - I've interviewed for a job at a good paper that I'd really like to work at. I think there's about 4 or 5 others interviewing for the same job.
They gave me a list of phone numbers in the department and told me to call if I have any questions, Well, I really don't, but I kind of want to call to show some interest, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm already pretty familiar with the paper and I know a good bit about the job I'd be doing, so I'm not sure what else to ask.
Also, I currently work at a "sister" paper about 30-45 minutes south of the paper I interviewed at.
Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Someone please help me!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:17 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Biggdbo:
They gave me a list of phone numbers in the department and told me to call if I have any questions.<hr></blockquote>You don't think they meant that, do you?<p>If you don't have any legitimate questions, send the "thank you for your consideration" note and make the follow-up phone call in about a week. That should cover it.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Also, I currently work at a "sister" paper about 30-45 minutes south of the paper I interviewed at. <hr></blockquote>If your definition of "sister" is the same as mine, that'd give you an edge since you already know their style, software, employee expectations and guidelines, etc. <p>Then again, some papers don't like to hire from within the "family" because they think it's harder to get a family member to play by their rules. <p>Anyway, good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:51 am 

Well, I guess I just wanted to have all my bases covered.
As far as us being a sister paper, we actually use a different system and have varying styles. We were bought into the company a couple years ago, and we're still running on an ancient, crappy ATS system. But I do think I have a bit of an edge. Although my main "in" at that paper has moved on ... we'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:14 am 

Not that all of you were terribly concerned, but it seems I will be passed over for this job. <p>The "sister" paper has just hired a reporter from us, and word here is it's very unlikely they will take two people from here at the same time. <p>That means I'm stuck here making next to nothing, which in turn means I'm going to be out looking for some part-time work to fully support the family ... sigh ...<p>Sorry, I don't mean to drown my sorrows here at TCE, but I just learned this news a few hours ago, and I'm still a little bummed. <p>But nothing has been officially confirmed yet, so there is still a slight glimmer of hope ... If anyone cares, I'll keep you updated. Even if nobody cares, I may keep you updated anyway.<p>By the way, I really enjoy this board, and I'm picking up loads of great tips and links. So I guess this is just a big "thanks" to everyone who contributes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:42 am 

Bummer. Good luck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:37 pm 

Well, you can hope that you were the very closely ranked second choice and that the reporter they did hire doesn't work out and you're next.<p>Or you may have impressed them so much that they're willing to overlook the "sister" thing.<p>It ain't over until it's over. Maybe checking back for an "update on the status of the job" is a good idea?<p>Best of luck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:38 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by majorbabs:
Well, you can hope that you were the very closely ranked second choice and that the reporter they did hire doesn't work out and you're next.<hr></blockquote><p>Or, keep hoping that the reporter works out really, really well. Then they'll be inclined to look to their sister paper for reinforcements.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]