Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: What time is it?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:35 pm 

It's any time, especially in sports. Any time you see a quote such as this, you're likely in for a non sequitir or the obvious (or a double-entendre). All of these from just the past week:<p>The Courier-Journal
"Any time you have an athlete like Shane, that allows you to do some things," he said.<p>Lakeland Ledger
"[A]ny time you've got multiple teams with interest in the same player, that has a tendency to ignite the interest that may overcome that disadvantage."<p>National Post (Canada)
"Any time you win a major, I think there's probably a different level of respect because the players ultimately know how hard it is to win one," Weir said. <p>Dublin (Ga.) Courier Herald
Baseball Tonight's Tim Kurkijan said last season that "any time you go to the ballpark, there's a good chance you'll see something you've never seen before." <p>Fox Sports.com
"Any time you can bust up a losing streak and not let those things continue and get longer and longer, it's good," Bulls coach Scott Skiles said.<p>Michigan Daily
"[A]ny time you win games, it's a confidence booster," Maloney said.<p>Westchester (NY) Journal News
"Any time you expect something, you can be sure you won't get any," Cantamessa said.<p>Skieston (Mo.) Standard Democrat
"Any time we play Charleston it's a big emotional game.<p>North County (Calif.) Times
"Any time you have a guy go down, it's disappointing."

Texas Tech University Daily
"Any time you can play a real game with real pitching is better than practicing."<p>Globe and Mail
"Any time it happens, emotions get involved, and the umpires felt they had to do something to kind of quiet things down."<p>Greenwich Time
"Any time you've got to make pitches for strikes, it's going to be tough," Giambi said. . . ."Any time you do that, you're going to run up pitch counts."<p>Norwich Bulletin
"Any time I can help my team out with a stolen bag here and there and score a run from first base, I'm going to do it."<p>Houston Chronicle
"Any time you play one of the Plano schools, you know they are for real." <p>St. Petersburg Times
"Any time you play a great team like this, it feels good to win," Countryside coach Kaylyn Bayly said.

Soccer Times
"Any time you can beat anyone in Europe it is a great exercise," Friedel said. . . . "Any time you can get a goal and help the team is a plus in my book."<p>Hammond (La.) Daily Star
"[A]ny time you beat a team of Southern Mississippi's caliber, it's huge," Lions coach Pete Langlois said.<p>Ottawa Sun
"Any time you can do that it's real honour and it's a way (to extend) my season because we're not going to be in the playoffs."<p>Charlottesville (Va.) Daily Progress
"Any time we play Covenant in any sport it is a big game."<p>Newsday
"Any time you make a decision of this importance, it should be made with a clear mind," he said.<p>Fort Worth Star-Telegram
"Any time you're involved with an event for the first time, there are things you have to do and figure out, how to best serve the needs of the event."<p>Madison (NJ) Eagle
"Any time Sean takes the mound, we've got a chance to win," Chandler said.<p>Arizona Republic
"Any time you add Shaq and KG, it would definitely be better," Allen said.<p>CincinnatiReds.com
"Any time, toward the end of camp, it's never easy when you make cuts," said Cincinnati manager Dave Miley.<p>Louisville Courier Journal
"Any time you can get two, maybe three backs with all different styles, that's great," Gates said. <p>Arizona Republic
"Any time you have success off big-time pitchers who have made a name for themselves, it lets me know I can play and belong here. "<p>South Brunswick (NJ) Post
"Any time you have a new bunch of guys, the first road trip is new, the first big game is new."<p>San Jose Mercury News
[A]ny time a player attempts to come back from a serious injury, nothing is simple.<p>Lowell Sun
"[A]ny time you give up 105 points the way we did, in terms of letting a team shoot 61 percent, you know you can't win."<p>Indianapolis Star
"Any time you receive an honor like this, it's a reflection on your players," said James.<p>Tuscon Citizen
"Any time these teams hook up and somebody sweeps, it gives them a one-up lead early."<p>Contra Costa Times
Any time one team takes a lead, you can count on the other team firing back at some point. <p>Florida Today
"Any time you have a guy of his talent and his style of play, it clashes with Baron's style of play."<p>The Daily Californian
"[A]ny time you win and play well as a team, as we did with San Diego State, you definitely have confidence going into the next game."<p>Grand Island (Neb.) Independent
"Any time you generated that many shots and do not get production out of it, you grip the stick harder and try to bang one in," Thomas said.<p>Washington (NC) Daily News
"[A]ny time you get a student-athlete a weekly award is great," said East Carolina head coach Stacy Kee.<p>=================<p>And it's not confined to sports:<p>Lorain (Ohio) Morning Journal
"Any time a child is killed, that's something we really have to worry about."<p>Durham (NC) Herald Sun
"Any time parents have a child ripped from their lives, it's always a terrible and devastating loss," Trehy said.<p>Beaufort (SC) Gazette
"Any time you see an outpouring, it's ingrained in your mind, especially as large as it was," Tritschler said.<p>The Capital (Wisc.) Times
"Any time a 20-year-old college student gets grabbed, it's going to be an issue," Goel said.<p>East Valley (Ariz.) Tribune
"Any time a woman tells me no, I am physically unable to continue."<p>Buffalo News
"[A]ny time you hear about a layoff, it's not good news," said John Slenker.<p>Boston Globe
"[A]ny time you have aiding and abetting, the US attorney can charge that as a criminal offense too."<p>[ April 02, 2004: Message edited by: Grammatically Incorrect ]</p>

Post subject: Re: What time is it?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:21 pm 

Anytime a human opens its mouth, a cliché is liable to come out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:55 am 

My favourite is from a boxer this week who after an injury said it was time to ''go back to the drawing room''.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:29 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
My favourite is from a boxer this week who after an injury said it was time to ''go back to the drawing room''.<hr></blockquote><p>Doesn't one "retire" to the drawing room?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:26 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pete Hahnloser:
<p>Doesn't one "retire" to the drawing room?<hr></blockquote>
Yop. One goes back to the drawing board, of course. <p>OTOH, the image of the boxer going to the drawing room is intriguing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]