Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Times' metabolic rate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:55 am 

NYT double-teams the big stories:<p>Internet Chatter on the Tyco Trial: What's With Juror No. 4?
By JENNIFER BAYOT and ANDREW ROSS SORKIN
When it comes to the Tyco trial, the hot topic in Internet chat rooms and online message boards is Juror No. 4.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Times' metabolic rate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:14 am 

The story could be a textbook example of why we should not write stories about anonymous postings in Internet "chat rooms" or on message boards.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:26 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
... we should not write stories about anonymous postings in Internet "chat rooms" or on message boards.<hr></blockquote><p>Aren't these postings at issue in the trial?<p>"Internet chatter became an issue in the courtroom yesterday when the defense moved yet again for a mistrial, this time because of the "venomous and just outrageous statements" in online chat rooms ..."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:35 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
The story could be a textbook example of why we should not write stories about anonymous postings in Internet "chat rooms" or on message boards.<hr></blockquote><p>I need to think about things. I think a bit of copy and paste for the purposes of fair review is allowable. The rego bit for on-line non-premium content is self defeating.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:40 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:

The rego bit for on-line non-premium content is self defeating.
<hr></blockquote><p>I don't think I'm following you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:29 pm 

"Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father; hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie."<p>Does that help, squadron leader?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:20 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dean Betz:
<p>Aren't these postings at issue in the trial?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yes, and an explanation of what the defense is claiming is in order. But the story in question here takes the postings at face value, which anyone who has ever managed a bulletin board or a chat channel knows is ridiculous.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:58 pm 

There are appropriate ways to use material from message boards in a newspaper, but I agree that the the AOL postings and traffic numbers cited didn't add a damn thing to this story. It read as if the reporters (it took two to research and write this?) just dropped in from the 1980s and had never encountered Internet message boards before. <p>Also, AOL is an online service that provides access the Internet, in addition to content and features that are available only to its subscribers. Unlike testycopyeditors.org, its message boards cannot be reached from the Internet, only through AOL's network.<p>I still want to know what a "rego bit" is, and where I can get one. Will it fit my 1/4-inch variable speed reversible electric drill?<p>[ March 31, 2004: Message edited by: Dean Betz ]</p>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:15 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
(NYT) When it comes to the Tyco trial, the hot topic in Internet chat rooms and online message boards is Juror No. 4.<hr></blockquote><p>I hate that phrase, especially as a lede: "When it comes to." Coming to WHAT? And what the hell is "it"? Buncha dead words IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:32 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dean Betz:
<p>I don't think I'm following you.<hr></blockquote>
Sorry Dean, mind in Australian English mode at the time.<p>There's a lot of stuff that newspaper web sites hive off into places where you have to provide details to access them yet don't pay a fee. I think it's better to keep current stuff on relatively open access and then charge for things like market graphs, archives and other business tools.<p>Here's an exam ple from the f2 news store. of what I mean by premium content.<p>[ March 31, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]