Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Loreal or Clairol?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:57 pm 

From AP's Uzbekistan story, caps are mine:<p>An eyewitness, a young woman with DYED BLONDE HAIR working at the bazaar who didn’t give her name, said she felt the ground shake and then saw a woman crying over the motionless body of a child.<p>WTF??

Post subject: Re: Loreal or Clairol?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:09 pm 

Wow...Courtney Love IS everywhere...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:36 pm 

Is the WTF for the break from blond for both genders (as some stylebooks would have it) or complete irrelevancy? If both, let's give it two WTF and play the spot who uses it game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:46 pm 

I was ignoring the blond/blonde thing. Who the hell cares what her hair color is and whether it's from a bottle? I mean, did the reporter ask? "But this silly suicide bombing aside, do you color your hair?" I want to see a story with a man described as having horrible hair plugs.<p>Well, no, not really....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:22 am 

I think the reporter knew only those three things about the woman he talked to (young, dyed blonde hair, works at a bazaar) and used it all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:13 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jackie:
I was ignoring the blond/blonde thing. .<hr></blockquote>
I knew you were. I just hope there's the majority of people out there in newspaperland share your views on relevancy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:33 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
I just hope there's the majority of people out there in newspaperland share your views on relevancy.<hr></blockquote><p>As Phil is fond of saying, dozens/hundreds/thousands of newspapers use AP unedited...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:18 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jackie:
<p>As Phil is fond of saying, dozens/hundreds/thousands of newspapers use AP unedited...<hr></blockquote><p>Ouch, really? I can't imagine not reading all of the copy that I put on the page, especially after seeing stuff like this. (And yes, I definitely cut that part out.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:34 am 

one more nit pick: if her hair is blonde it has been bleached, not dyed. Dyeing makes hair darker, bleaching makes hair lighter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:29 pm 

It's an old rule of reporting: When in doubt, add local color. Rinse. Repeat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:49 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CopyMonkey:
<p>Ouch, really? I can't imagine not reading all of the copy that I put on the page, especially after seeing stuff like this. (And yes, I definitely cut that part out.)<hr></blockquote><p>I ran into the same shock trying to point out to the New York Times that they ran an AP story that had within it "psychic Uri Geller." <p>I pointed out that were this true (Geller being psychic), it would be the biggest story since the first step on the moon -- "purported psychic" or "fraud" were my two suggestions.<p>I never did get them to answer why they didn't edit those stories before they used them...<p>But they're the Times, and I'm a no one...<p>[ April 12, 2004: Message edited by: Fussbudget Alex ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]