Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rear Window, sans Jimmy Stewart
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:14 pm 

How long has it been since your paper did something this embarrassing?<p>
http://www.timesunion.com/life/index.asp<p>
(IF someone knows how to keep this link from changing when the Web page changes, please do it)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rear Window, sans Jimmy Stewart
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:20 am 

Image<p>is that it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:59 am 

That, and the story that goes with it. The story is about a "trend" of young women showing off "plumber's cracks" as a fashion statement.<p>Thanks for putting it up there. I think.<p>[ March 29, 2004: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:06 am 

True sighting at the San Francsico Museum of Modern Art cafe last fall: woman was wearing a black thong to fill in the plumber's crack; observed for purely sociological reasons, mind you.<p>[ March 29, 2004: Message edited by: tom mangan ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:17 am 

Well, at least your paper didn't do a "trend" story. Everyone's doing it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:53 am 

I thank whatever gods there be that the style for very low slung pants came along well after I was of an age to be expected to follow fashion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:47 am 

A sideshow to this is that a friend called to tell me she wrote a letter to the editor condemning the "ageist" exploitation of the gawking oldsters.
While I'm not in any way a member of the PC crusaders, she has a point.<p>Doesn't it seem a litmus test could be this: that if a photo would get you hauled up on sexual harassment charges if it were on your desk, it might not be the best choice for publication?<p>Also, one of the main interviewees is 17. Seventeen. And she's interviewed about getting butt implants and showing off the Great Divide, or what the story calls "butt cleavage."<p>To me, this is typical of the rapidly blurring line between features sections and "hip" weekly tabloids, which of course serve a very good purpose. Let them do stories about ass cracks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:50 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
A sideshow to this is that a friend called to tell me she wrote a letter to the editor condemning the "ageist" exploitation of the gawking oldsters.
<hr></blockquote><p>Bumf, what is your friend talking about when she refers to " 'ageist' exploitation of gawking oldsters"?<p>[ March 29, 2004: Message edited by: wordygurdy ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:55 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
Well, at least your paper didn't do a "trend" story. Everyone's doing it!<hr></blockquote>
<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Also, one of the main interviewees is 17.<hr></blockquote>And named Couture, which prompts me to assign the "trend" story on the evolution of names into the utterly ridiculous.<p>But I won't.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:27 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wordygurdy:
<p>Bumf, what is your friend talking about when she refers to " 'ageist' exploitation of gawking oldsters"?<p>[ March 29, 2004: Message edited by: wordygurdy ]<hr></blockquote><p>I assume she was referring to old people getting their jollies staring at the bodies of young people.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:45 pm 

That's my understanding. The stereotyped dirty old man on the left, getting what appears to be an eye-popping view of the young woman's rear. and the stereotyped old fuddy-duddy woman on the right, stunned nearly into catatonia by the buttcrack display.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:04 pm 

Oh, I didn't understand she was talking about the photo illustration.<p>Still, I'm not sure I understand how the paper is exploiting old people by portraying them as reacting in shock to plumber's cracks. I guess you could interpret the old man's expression as leering. But most old people probably would and do react in shock to plumber's cracks. (I'm pretty much anti-plumber's crack, by the way, and I'm not old.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:11 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr> On the ``Late Show,'' she wore a red dress that exposed cleavage and her navel, which was affixed with jewelry.
<hr></blockquote><p>No plumber's crack? Janet Jackson is showing her age.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:04 pm 

Anyone else here reminded of a 60s song by, I think, the Limelighters, immortalizing a young woman named Vicki Dugan whose dress was "cut so low in the back that it exposed a new cleavage."

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]