Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
 Post subject: Quick ACES note
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:47 am 

Wanted to urge any of you who haven't been to one of these ACES conferences to strongly consider going to one... I had about three times more fun than I expected.<p>Had drinks with Wayne Countryman, SeaRaven, JJMoney and blanp last night. These are all seriously cool guys. Ask JJ about my suggestion for parachute base-jumping inside the hotel.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Quick ACES note
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:25 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:

Had drinks with Wayne Countryman, SeaRaven, JJMoney and blanp last night. These are all seriously cool guys. Ask JJ about my suggestion for parachute base-jumping inside the hotel.
<hr></blockquote><p>The conference crowd was much more subdued this year than in the past few years. I attribute that to the heartening number of first-time attendees, roughly a third of the registrants.
Mangan posted a nice picture of the Testy Copy Editors panel on his blog:
ImagePrints the Chaff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:43 pm 

Well, I really wanted to go to this one but couldn't. I guess I will suspend my boycott of California and go next year.<p>I know who Phil is (trivia: I replaced him in Albany, if such a thing is possible), but for the benefit of those stuck working during ACES who are those other guys?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:19 pm 

Thanks, Bumf, for not pointing out my absence on the desk for your inability to go to the conference. It must be that "Don't Mess With Texas" mug I picked up for you in the airport gift shop.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:20 pm 

I am, if nothing else, a goddamned sport.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:39 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
Well, I really wanted to go to this one but couldn't. I guess I will suspend my boycott of California and go next year.<p>I know who Phil is (trivia: I replaced him in Albany, if such a thing is possible), but for the benefit of those stuck working during ACES who are those other guys?<hr></blockquote><p>Also shown is Jim Montalbano of the Albuquerque Tribune, a former colleague in Chicago; and Mary Ellen Slayter (described by Tom Mangan as "probably the rockingest woman in the profession) , a co-worker in Washington. Here's another one:<p>Image<p>[ March 22, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:13 am 

Tnx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:20 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:

I know who Phil is (trivia: I replaced him in Albany, if such a thing is possible) ....
<hr></blockquote><p>Revisionist history. Jmcg replaced me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:26 am 

Another Mysterious Montanan; the original, actually. Katie Oyan (koyan here) on the "What Jerk Wrote This" panel.<p>Image<p>[ March 22, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:28 am 

I think I filled the vacancy created by your departure; jmcg filled the post.<p>Whatever. But thanks for the photo cutlines.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:03 am 

I think I filled the vacancy created by your departure; jmcg filled the post.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Come to think of it, that's true.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:05 am 

Great. I've outparsed you. I can retire now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:32 am 

Wanted to add that blanp was seen paying for the drinks of the skinny Great Falls Montanan guy who won the headline writing contest for his division. <p>We should at least claim credit for creating the positive karma that helped propel the Great Falls Trib guy to glory.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:58 am 

I'm sure Matt will use his prizewinnings to buy us all a round of drinks at the Testy Copy Editors' International Raccoon Convention in Great Falls.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:43 pm 

I was asked by more than one person, "Why was Phil Blanchard taking photos of that guy from Montana during the headline contest awards ceremony?" They all nodded knowingly when I said, "It's a testy copy editors thing."
And I'll take this opportunity to issue yet another thanks to all of you who came to our little Houston shindig. Maybe I'll actually have time to talk to all of you next year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:09 pm 

I think I filled the vacancy created by your departure; jmcg filled the post.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And ADKbrown replaced me. ... Sounds like y'all have terrific gatherings, unlike the dweeb fests that editorial writers have and that I avoid.<p>[ March 22, 2004: Message edited by: jmcg ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:59 pm 

Actually, ADKBrown preceded both blanp and jmcg, in addition to following jmcg.<p>But that's ancient history.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:33 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dean Betz:
Actually, ADKBrown preceded both blanp and jmcg, in addition to following jmcg.<p>But that's ancient history.<hr></blockquote><p>Thanks for detailing my meteoric rise on the Internet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:56 pm 

I grew more as a rim guy working with ADKBrown than with any other slot editor. I already knew everything by the time blanp took over, and was in other jobs when jmcg was around.<p>[ March 23, 2004: Message edited by: Dean Betz ]</p>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:24 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dean Betz:
I grew more as an rim guy working with ADKBrown than with any other slot editor. I already knew everything by the time blanp took over, and was in other jobs when jmcg was around.<hr></blockquote><p>You "knew everything" when you were an intern, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:11 pm 

These threads are often like a William Kennedy novel ....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:06 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>You "knew everything" when you were an intern, too.<hr></blockquote><p>That was part of my charm. Now, the only thing I know is where to look it up. That's what blanp taught me from the slot.<p>[ March 23, 2004: Message edited by: Dean Betz ]</p>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:57 pm 

<p>That was part of my charm. Now, the only thing I know is where to look it up. That's what blanp taught me from the slot.<p>[ March 23, 2004: Message edited by: Dean Betz ]<hr></blockquote>
How testy was he?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:18 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:

How testy was he?
<hr></blockquote><p>He hasn't changed a bit.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]