Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Editing tests
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:52 am 

I'm doing a copy editing test next week and have no idea what to expect. Has anyone done one lately? Is it a spelling bee? Current events quiz show?
Any thoughts would be appreciated....

Post subject: Re: Editing tests
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:29 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SVN:
I'm doing a copy editing test next week and have no idea what to expect. Has anyone done one lately? Is it a spelling bee? Current events quiz show?
Any thoughts would be appreciated....
<hr></blockquote><p>It varies from paper to paper. But you probably can expect a "spelling bee" and "current events quiz show." The former is identifying which words are spelled correctly or incorrectly. The latter might be identifying names in the news and what happened on a certain date.<p>In addition, you'll probably get a story to edit, and might even be asked to write a story about yourself within so much time. Will layout be part of your job? You may get a pile of pictures and stories and be told to design a front page. Or maybe you'll be sat down in front of Quark and be asked to do it there.<p>This is a tough thing to study for. Either you know the stuff, or you don't. Re-reading the AP Stylebook before you go couldn't hurt, though.<p>[ March 18, 2004: Message edited by: Gary Kirchherr ]</p>

Post subject: Re: Editing tests
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:08 am 

Along with all that previously mentioned, you may also have to write some headlines.<p>I've taken a couple in the last few months. The only other advice I'd have to offer is to mind any time limits. And be prepared to do it all on paper, which in this day of electronic editing can be a complete switching of gears.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]