Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dead Milkman
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:57 pm 

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Dave Blood, bassist for defunct Philadelphia rock act the Dead Milkmen, committed suicide Wednesday, according to a post by his sister on the band's official message board (http://deadmilkmen.com). <p>The Dead Milkmen formed in 1983 and quickly rose to prominence in the college radio circuit. Their 1985 debut album, "Big Lizard in My Backyard" boasts the cult-classic single "Bitchin' Camaro," but was overshadowed in 1988 by "Punk Rock Girl," which was an MTV staple of the time. <p>In recent years, Blood had stopped playing bass due to extreme tendonitis. In the mid-'90s, he enrolled at Indiana University to study Yugoslavian culture, and spent nearly a year in the country between August 1998 and April 1999. In an E-mail interview (http://www.markprindle.com) late last year with journalist Mark Prindle, he expressed interest in returning to the country in the near future. <p>** Maybe it was learning that Yugoslavia no longer exists that put him over the edge. **

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dead Milkman
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:51 pm 

Or maybe he just found out he couldn't drive there from Philly in his Yugo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:46 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
In recent years, Blood had stopped playing bass due to extreme tendonitis. In the mid-'90s, he enrolled at Indiana University to study Yugoslavian culture, and spent nearly a year in the country between August 1998 and April 1999. <hr></blockquote><p>When did eight to nine months become "nearly a year"? My resume should suddenly look golden.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:05 pm 

And by the way, it's "tendinitis."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:35 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
And by the way, it's "tendinitis."<hr></blockquote>There appears to be some disagreement on that:<p>NIH<p>American College of Rheumatology<p>"Tendinitis" doesn't make much sense, as the term refers to inflammation of the tendons. <p>D, who suffers from rotator cuff tendonitis, but has no plans for offing herself.<p>[ March 15, 2004: Message edited by: DominEditrix ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:32 pm 

I agree that it doesn't make sense, but that's what my Merriam-Webster's has. I don't have an AP Stylebook handy to check on their position, if any exists.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:08 pm 

Let's check with the Bee Gees:<p>Bill Gates (in MS Word spell check) says it's tendonitis.<p>Bryan Garner says it's tendinitis.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:13 pm 

Why guess? Look it up.
Webster's New World (which is the only dictionary that counts in this context) says "tendinitis." "Tendonitis" is an "also spelled as."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:19 pm 

At my house, consulting Garner's Modern American Usage qualifies as looking it up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:04 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
Why guess? Look it up.
<hr></blockquote>
Can I borrow your services some time. Some folk I know think that is a radical idea .. can't live with 'em can't shoot 'em

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:08 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SeaRaven:
At my house, consulting Garner's Modern American Usage qualifies as looking it up.<hr></blockquote>I consulted the educational booklet given me by my doctor when he diagnosed this little foray into the Land of Excruciating Pain. The booklet favours "tendonitis".<p>I'm willing to spell it "chocolate" if that will make it go away.<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:01 am 

Yes, the "o" version is well established as an alternative spelling, D. I wouldn't argue that it was "wrong" in the context that you mentioned.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]