Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Well, I'll be dammed
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:20 pm 

Front page of today's New York Times:<p>Dam Building Threatens China's 'Grand Canyon'<p>Sure, it makes sense if you can see the three-column photo, but if you're scanning the headlines on the Times Web site, it's good for a laugh.<p>As the tour guides at the Hoover Dam say, "Leave the dam jokes to the dam professionals."

Post subject: Re: Well, I'll be dammed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:02 pm 

They actually do say stuff like that. It's not just a cheap joke written for "Vegas Vacation."<p>This brings up something that hasn't yet reached "peeve" status with me: When did it become acceptable to use "damn" when "damned" is called for? I'm seeing more of "the damn government" or whatever, and as far as I know that's the same as saying "the condemn government." Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:44 pm 

Brings up something with me that has reached peeve status: having to give personal info to look at a paper's Web site, which i refuse to do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:05 pm 

I don't understand why this makes people so mad, especially newspaper people. These Web sites need advertisers, and that advertising provides money that helps provide our paychecks. <p>We're getting content for free that otherwise we'd have to buy a paper for. The least we can do is share a couple of details to help them better target advertising -- as long as they promise not to send us e-mail or call our phones. And if you're worried about that, make that information up. <p>Yes, it's annoying, but most of the sites save your information, so it's generally only annoying once.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:14 pm 

There is no reason on this earth that a newspaper Web site needs my home address or phone number. I have taken to making up absoutely everything that's requested, including email addresses, and if the site will then only grant access with a confirming email I don't bother. Frankly, there is almost nothing I want that badly from any paper's Web site, and if something should turn up that I want to pursue, I can always find it some other way. (The advantages of working in this business.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]